Other Sports

All words are made up.

4 Likes

For USMNT fans, Chris Richards is playing on the right side of three center backs today, and is having himself a very tidy game. Very comfortable in possession, solid in defense and even a couple of forays forward.

1 Like

Some folks in England went ahead and named their town after the makers of WS_FTP.

Another enjoyable Arsenal match. Watched from a pub in Bologna.

2 Likes

Talk about grading on a curve. The F1 comms folks deluge Vestappen with praise when he choose not to cause a wreck when someone tries to pass.

Also, Zandvoort is the Scalextric track you set up when you only have a room that’s too small.

Selhurst Park opened 100 years ago today.

2 Likes

Just an unimaginable tragedy.

2 Likes

Here’s the view today from a similar angle.

Yes, that’s the same stand in both pictures. It is finally getting replaced and construction is underway.

It’s transfer deadline day in the EPL, so refresh buttons will be worn out all over the country.

As a Palace fan, I am buoyed by the following news:

Marc Guéhi is Tony Shalhoub in Galaxy Quest.

But, with about 7 hours to go before the shutters come down, I am not going to count this particular chicken just yet.

On the other end of the stick, I am looking for news of Palace’s acquisition of Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal…

The driver, Sean Higgins, 43, is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and has been charged with two counts of death by auto, police said.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Higgins told police that he had five or six beers before the crash and had tried to go around the SUV on the right side after thinking the other vehicle was trying to block him from passing. He told police his drinking contributed to “his impatience and reckless driving.” Higgins failed a field sobriety test, according to the affidavit.

Good. He needs to be in prison where he can’t drive like a drunk jackass.

1 Like

“passing on the right” is always a massive red flag and recipe for disaster

1 Like

For Chris Richards fans, he has some competition for a place in the starting lineup now at Palace. The club has signed Maxence Lacroix from Glasner’s old club Wolfsburg (5 year deal) and got Trevor Chalobah on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

Glasner will now be picking three CBs from:
Guéhi
Chalobah
Lacroix
Richards
Riad

I have no idea who any of these people are, but I do now watch Palace when they play in the mornings.

1 Like

Good man!

ETA: Barring any last second shenanigans, Palace has had an impressive transfer window. Losing only Olise of the young stars is huge, but the addition of young talent while moving out some older players is very exciting.

See? I don’t know what any of this means, and I’m OK with it.

2 Likes

Good luck with Eddie $. Really great guy, very solid forward. I think Palace is a great landing spot, assuming he gets plenty of starts I think he will excel. I will definitely be pulling for him except when playing Arsenal.

1 Like

Also, USMNT’s Matt Turner on loan to Palace

1 Like

Eddie is another graduate of South London cage football. I am hopeful for good things from him.

1 Like

Same. He’s an easy guy to root for.

Also curious. What are your expectations/hopes for Palace this season?

Coming off of the end of last season, expectations were set way too high: a place in Europe to be precise.

The start to this season has been frustrating. Two games where Palace has played very well - arguably better than the opponent - and lost. Now we play Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool, so zero points from 5 games is a stark prospect.

I am not concerned about being in a relegation scrap. I think we should be targeting a top 10 finish. If fortune evens out, challenging for Europe is not out of the question.