Other Sports

McLaren pointing out the bleedin’ obvious:

Every time they let Verstappen get away with dangerous driving, they simply embolden him for the next time. “Yield or we crash” cannot be the acceptable standard of driving for the very pinnacle of motorsport.

Senna drove the same way.

Yes, and 10% of the drivers of his era didn’t survive the season. It’s a different sport now.

1 Like

It was more of an observation than a defense of Max.

1 Like

And some that did survive became hideously scarred. To wit: Emerson Fittipaldi & Nicki Lauda…

ETA: FWIW Fittipaldi actually was sort of a passive victim when he had his fiery crash in a CART Indy Car event at the Michigan 500 (not an F1 event). He was collided into by an out-of-control car that had already hit another another car. None the less he was known to a very aggressive driver, no matter the race.

1 Like

The Austria-Turkey match was an absolute barn-burner. So much fun!

That save at the end was reminiscent of the one Gordon Banks made from Pele in the 1970 World Cup - widely considered the greatest save of all time.

The ball seemed to be past him, but he somehow reached back and clawed it away.

That game also featured one of the most perfect tackles you will ever see: Bobby Moore on Jairzinho.

Last night at the post-game press conference someone asked our coach Whom would you rather face, Colombia or Brazil. He laughed and said Neither.

Well, I don’t mind answering that question, and my answer is Colombia, mainly because of familiarity, not because I want to believe that they’re more beatable somehow. Anyway, it’s very early and anything could happen here, but things are not currently trending in that direction.

It’s pretty crazy that the three best teams are all going to be on the same side of the bracket. Argentina’s just sitting over there wondering which one they’re going to end up playing.

Laughs in Southgate.

Only one game of futbol on the schedule today. How does anyone survive this famine?

UK election returns?

That’s tomorrow’s fun.

The fifth stage of the Tour de France might be of interest to you.

I expect anyone who cares has seen this, but it is a good analysis of F1’s newest rookie.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what a Haas can do being driven by an elite (to be) driver and not a War Boy.

ETA: this weekend will be fascinating. Silverstone is an uber-high-speed track with a bunch of high-speed corners that will be hard-wearing on tires.

Is this the weekend when McLaren finally breaks Verstappen’s grip on F1?

Tuned in at halftime for the Argentina Ecuador game in Houston. Is the roof open? I can’t tell. Anybody know how they did the grass? Seems like a lot of effort for one game.

There were two group stage games played there, also.

Ok. Still. If they can keep the grass this good for three games they must’ve greatly improved their grass skills from when they had it for the Texans