Other Sports

The Astros and Oilers beg to differ

3 Likes

Renfro was in-bounds.

3 Likes

I will shank the first mf’er that says 2019

1 Like

Paraguay looks pretty seriously out-gunned here. Good thing, too, because we’ve got MCWS, Stanley Cup G7, and track and field Olympic trials vying for attention soon.

I posted no particulars and didn’t even mention UH

Limey will be pleased to note the scoring from Colombia thus far.

1 Like

See, football is usually a slow death, not all the time but you kinda know it’s happening for a couple of minutes. Baseball is much like soccer, it can happen fast and when least expected but you usually know it’s possible.

With soccer, the Croatia-Italy game happens all the time and worse. You can be totally in control, everything is fine, comfortable even. And then in the span of 10 seconds, your season, tournament, whatever, is over. Or you’re on the other side, you need to score to go into complete anarchy, your striker has an open net and just skys it. There really isn’t a good equivalent to that in any other sport.

Watching soccer and caring about the result is walking a tightrope over a volcano. Constantly on the cusp of complete agony. Big soccer games and postseason baseball are the only things that make me feel that way for 2/3/4 straight hours.

3 Likes

Try being a supporter of the USA and Australia in rugby. It is fucking rough.

Can’t speak to rugby, I don’t believe I have ever witnessed more than a couple minutes of a match.

Can’t speak to hockey either, not a sport I watch. Though I know people talk about hockey the way I talk about soccer.

I’m about to watch my first NHL hockey game in 20 years

eta: I just learned that espn+ will let me watch the game in English or Spanish but not French

1 Like

I can’t wait. Bring The Cup back to Canada! Go Oilers, pretty nice feat after being down 0-3 and forcing a game 7. Also has there ever been a Stanley Cup final with a greater distance between cities?

Not even 7 minutes in and it’s tied 1-1

According to Reddit, no. (Reddit is not always accurate as you’re probably aware)
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1d6u6oi/ryan_clark_this_years_stanley_cup_final_between/

Florida’s defense is crazy good

1 Like

The Florida goalie was phenomenal.

1 Like

Playoff hockey can really deliver the goods.

Scotland’s demise is even more brutal than it seemed on paper.

3 Likes

Or like Robert Earl Keen said about bull riding…it’s kind of like getting in your car and going 70 mph down the freeway then throwing the steering wheel out the window.

1 Like

That one is great. I hope Mark sees it. He is a devoted Red Wings fan.