Other Sports

Anyone watching USA vs Bolivia in Copa America? If so is the sound of shit for you as it is for me? Sounds like a helicopter in the stadium or something.

1 Like

Sound is fine for me. The picture? See above.

If it’s not Scottish it’s crap

I’m jealous.

1 Like

Elvis is everywhere

You may be thinking of a different Elvis.

Oh hell no

3 Likes

I am assuming that Chuck has gone to see this Elvis:

1 Like

I am, and he’s going to open with that song. And if there were ever a song I don’t need to hear again in my life…

1 Like

Oh really?

2 Likes

Well, I’ve never heard that song so my rules don’t apply.

Anyway, I watched the first half and there is some reason for optimism. Who knows, maybe we luck into a goal, maybe by some miracle we keep them from scoring more. The Astros are coming off of a sweep of the best team in baseball so fevers are running high.

2 Likes

Oh, and another thing, I saw the original Elvis, too.

2 Likes

Group B wraps up today with simultaneous games at 2pm (CDT). Spain takes on Albania and only a shock defeat of Spain would knock them off their perch atop the group (and this only if Italy beats Croatia by enough to reverse a 4-goal deficit in goal difference).

The other game is Croatia vs. Italy, which is a much more intriguing matchup. Assuming Spain will stay top, the other three teams can easily finish in any of the three remaining spots. Croatia - currently bottom - could finish 3rd even while losing if Spain puts a shellacking on Albania.

The winner of this group will play a 3rd placed team pulled from groups A, D, E or F, while the runner up will play Switzerland. Should the 3rd placed side in this group be plucked from the scrapheap and brought into the Round of 16, it would play the winner of Group F - most likely Portugal.

FYI, the four 3rd placed teams from the six groups is determined by, in order:
a. Higher number of points;
b. Superior goal difference;
c. Higher number of goals scored;
d. Higher number of wins;
e. Fewer disciplinary points (red = 3 points, yellow = 1)

1 Like

Meanwhile, in other, other sports, F1 has got a lot more interesting. OK, Max Verstappen just won the Spanish GP; how is that interesting? Well he won it by about 2 seconds, not 2 minutes as has been the norm for a couple of season now. More importantly, the McLaren is the faster car at this point and has been for a few races now.

So it is at this point that I have to eat my own words and admit that the only thing keeping Red Bull anywhere near the front of the pack is the unavoidable talent of Max Verstappen. While it is easy to shit on Sergio Perez (and I do), it’s just as likely that he is doing about as good a job as can be done by a solid F1 driver in a Red Bull, and he struggles to crack the top 10 in either qualifying or the race.

But back to McLaren. They always had speed, but they used to wear out tires like they were high schoolers doing burnouts in the parking lot at night. There was no way they could sustain a challenge because they always had to back off to still have rubber left at the end. Then they added an upgrade package, and this all changed.

In Barcelona, Norris drove over 20 laps on the same soft tires that had competitors pitting for new footwear 10 laps earlier. In fact, so confident were they of the longevity of their tires, their entire strategy was based around driving longer and faster on old tires than Max Verstappen. And it almost worked.

Norris - sitting on pole - had a poor start that saw him having to fight Verstappen into the first corner and losing places to both Verstappen and Russell, who bumrushed the pair of them from 3rd. Max dealt with Russell quickly, but Norris took a couple of laps to get past him, by which time Max was about 4 seconds up the road. Norris lost that time, plus he lost about 1.5 seconds to Max in pit stops.

And still, Norris finished 2 seconds behind Verstappen.

There are 4 races in the next five weeks.

1 Like

Nice summary.

1 Like

That start was great racing.

1 Like

Are Croatia aware that they need a win to advance? Because they sure look content with 0-0

1 Like

I am going to resist any criticism of the negative tactics of Croatia in the face of a must-win situation, because I am acutely aware that England plays tomorrow.

1 Like