Other Sports

HH posts from a minute in the future. Limey posts from 1939.

8 Likes

Nominated.

The Dutch are making a good fist of this.

I don’t even want to know if that’s related to a Dutch rudder.

1 Like

The goalkeeper was never going to get to that ball, but we have to keep the French up top.

2 Likes

Looked offside to me in real time, but you’re right that the replays show he wasn’t likely to get there. Not enough to overturn the call on the field though.

Well, if the Dutch goal had been allowed to stand by dint of VAR, it would’ve been a case of Germany using Holland to get to France, so…

To me, that’s like wanting to claim that the runner was inside the line and interfered with your throw. Make it plain: throw the ball and hit him in the back. In the same way, I’d have a lot more sympathy for this call if the goalkeeper had actually dived and made contact with the other player.

To be fair, before the rule was softened, the Dutchman would’ve been ruled offside and the goal denied if he’d been standing by the corner flag. There being a need for the player to be interfering, believe it or not, is a vast improvement.

Oh, I appreciate that. I’m just not convinced that he was in fact interfering.

On that we agree.

As an aside, the refereeing has been a breath of fresh air. The refs are “letting them play”, rather than biting on every exaggerated flop like we see in the Premier League week-in-week out. Even Anthony Taylor - the France/Netherlands ref - was with the program, and he’s usually one of the most gullible.

I cannot wait for the Inst-VAR for offside to come to the Prem. Not only is it quicker, it’s much more accurate.

In hockey, Edmonton has battled back from a 3-0 series deficit to force a game seven Monday night.

1 Like

Coach blames players. This is going well…

What complete and utter bollocks.

Go Canada!

1 Like

I think it’s “O, Canada.”

2 Likes

Houston-based Friedkin Group is in advanced talks to buy Everton

Re-watching the last episode of S2 of Shoresy, I was pissing myself that the American host team had the Canadian national anthem performed by a 13-year old boy who was learning the recorder.

2 Likes

Türkiye vs. Portugal is shaping up to be a barn burner.

It’s not clear to me how Turkey failed to score there.

1 Like