Other Sports

Portugal keep bringing their defenders way up; often you can see all 10 of their players on the screen at the same time during the attack. I keep hoping that will bite them in the ass.

3 Likes

They’re still the Czech Republic to me

3 Likes

Of course, it is really Čechia, but foreigners will insist on the Polish spelling.

1 Like

Ooh. An option to appear intellectually and morally superior by spelling it correctly? I’m in!

More than an appearance. :slight_smile:

And from the article,

Regardless of what name it goes by, the country remains a gem of Europe that is often missed by the larger tourist crowds. Those who decide to visit its capital Prague, or other cities like Brno and Liberec, will be treated to charming historical architecture, lush mountainsides and fewer crowds than other tourist hot spots.

Prague (Praha !!) is great, but you really ought to include Plseń (or Pilsen – the birthplace of Pilsner Beer) and Česky Krumlov.

1 Like

Whoa

Shit just got real.

Čechia has a set piece opportunity which Portugal defends hilariously poorly and Provod sweeps the ball in from just outside the penalty area.

There are smoking hot Portuguese babes in the stands who need consoling.

I volunteer as tribute

3 Likes

Aaaarrrggghhhh!

1 Like

How fortunate for Portugal. The Čechian goalie parried a cross directly onto the shin bone of a defender and the ball flew into the net.

For all the hype (not just by me), Portugal has yet to score off their own bat.

Does anyone expect “foreigners” to use the proper wingdings when typing names?

1 Like

Portugal had the ball in the back of the net; Jota following up on a Ronaldo header that came back off the post. Then there was a kerfuffle in the goal as Jota wrestled the Čechian goalie for the ball so that he could do a rehearsed celebration.

Then the goal was disallowed as Ronaldo was offside. Fucking good.

Sooooo much late drama. Portugal score in the 2nd minute of four added minutes when Conceição pounced on a defensive mistake from a nothing cross to rifle the ball home from close range. He whipped off his shirt in celebration and got a yellow card for his troubles.

But, Čechia was exposing Portugal’s defensive frailties and easily could’ve had one or two goals of their own in the closing exchanges of the game. No joy for them as it ends 2-1 Portugal.

I tell you what, though, a better side than Čechia would’ve ripped that Portuguese defense to shreds tonight.

1 Like

This times 100.

1 Like

As Forrest Gump said…sometimes there’s just not enough vowels.

1 Like

This game had literally everything. 5 mins is nowhere near enough of the highlights, but well worth the time.

1 Like

That was nuts. I doubt it’ll happen, but it wouldn’t bother me if Turkey took down a Goliath or two.

1 Like

I guess the rule this Euros is don’t sleep on the unfashionable matches. I literally did this morning, and missed an absolute barnburner between Croatia and Albania. It ended 2-2 after Albania had lead for most of the game, coughed up the lead in tragic circumstances (own goal) the earned a point with a goal in the 5th minute of six minutes of added time.

Albania - on paper the only weak side in the Group of Death - can still qualify for the knockout stage. Pressure increases exponentially now on Spain and particularly Italy for tomorrow’s match between them (2pm CDT). Italy will face Croatia - oddly bottom of the group currently - in the last round of group games.

Hoo boy.

…except for Hungary - Scotland. The Hungarians are terrible, but somehow doing much better than Scotland. That’s going to be a dead rubber when it’s played, and arguably should be scrapped for the good of world peace.