Other Sports

There’s only one hockey team in Texas, so you don’t have much choice.

That being said, I’d rather root for a meteor to end life as we know it than root for the fucking Stars. Their general fan base is about as perfectly Dallas as it gets.

2 Likes

I disagree, they are a large part of people from the rust belt that moved south for work in the 70s and 80s. Not like the Cowboys. The Cowboy fan base is more what you describe as perfectly Dallas as it gets. Plus they have a much shittier owner. I laugh at the poor old Cowboys who have had to watch every other major sports franchise in the Metroplex win a championship since the Cowboys last won a championship.

1 Like

I’ve still have never seen a team win a game by pulling their goalie. I’m sure it has worked a few times but not any game I’ve ever seen. It almost always results in empty netters.

Doesn’t the need to pull the goalie mean that you’re already losing?

Of all teams in the area I only root for the Stars. And I always refer to them as just the Stars. Okay, I am also guilty of rooting for the Mavs in 2011 against that Miami team with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. But that was just for the championship series. I also follow the Blues but when they traded my favorite player, Brett Hull, to the Stars I became a fan of the Stars.

Yes, it’s a total desperation move, in an attempt to create more offense.

Yesterday in the Prem, the relegation fight is all over bar the crying. Burnley were the second confirmed victim for the drop. While Forest lost, Luton also lost so would have to overturn a 13-goal deficit between a win and a Forst loss next week (ie they’d need to win by 7 while Forest lose by 6).

Palace took Wolves to the gravel pit like we were Kristy Noem on another spree, and leapt into 12th place. A top 10 finish is mathematically possible still.

At the top, Citeh won and so sit atop the pyramid at least for now. Arsenal play at Man Utd at 10:30 (CDT), and it will be interesting to see whether Utd show a reaction to the bitch-slapping they got at Selhurst last Monday.

Citeh still have an extra game to play (Tuesday at Spurs), so any return to the top by Arsenal today is likely to be temporary.

I’m sure Mark has particular experience to draw from, but my own experience is that the Stars fans have less overlap with the other 3 teams and they are a good group.

Playoffs always drive ticket prices up and draw bandwagoners but that true of every sport in every city.

And yes, Otter was rock solid during the onslaught.

Weird confluence of events:

• if Man Utd beat Arsenal today, they’re gift-wrapping the title to their hated local rival Man City; but

• if Spurs beat Man City on Tuesday, they’re gift-wrapping the title to their hated local rival Arsenal.

I’ve seen a couple wins and quite a few goals scored by pulling the goalie. It works more than you’d think. That doesn’t make it any less desperate but down by one or two, it’s definitely worth the try.

1 Like

I mean, if you’re already down a goal, you’d rather have 6 viable scoring options than 5.

I’ve seen it work plenty of times, including a few times when the team was down by 2.

1 Like

I have plenty of friends who are Stars fans and are great.

However, all 3 games I’ve been to in Dallas, the fans were awful, ignorant of the game in general, and just typical cowboys/rangers fans in their idiocy.

Especially if you already have a good power play.

1 Like

I know it works at times, I just don’t recall it happening in a game I was watching. But I have seen a lot of games ending up with one or more empty netters. Apparently the trend has been to pull goalies earlier in the games than in the past.

1 Like

Long time Spurs fan here, COYS! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you also whip yourself?

1 Like

At least you can tell Gooners that they only won because you helped them.

Don’t kink shame

In other news, one of the picks the Rockets got from Brooklyn to ship Harden out of town ended up #3 overall

2 Likes

To be clear, I’m an Arsenal fan, but will be rooting for Spurs for the first time on Tuesday