News & Notes from the AL West

You’re killing me smalls.

How much would 2 legit 7-8-9 arms change this entire team?

Not that it matters what I think, but I will be pissed at Click and Crane if they don’t do something to the pen.

They’ve got one of those covered.

And he could move to 8 if needed.

1 Like

Like I said, they need 2 more.

1 Like

Javier is one also.

I’m not yet confident he can consistently find the plate in a tight situation

1 Like

I suspect they’re gonna utilize tandem starts throughout the season.

They did it in 3 of their final 5 wins in 2017. But to rely on that and not have a fully functional pen is gonna eat several holes in my stomach.

I think Baez is supposed to be one of those guys… if (big “IF”) he can progress beyond “throwing off flat ground up to 180 feet” in W. Palm Beach.

We don’t need to be. That is up to him and to Strom.

Javier seems a viable stretch/tandem guy.

I don’t think this team has a fireman in the traditional sense.

Of course, but the team (and world) would obviously be better off if all decisions were run by me first.

I am not saying Javier is a closer. I am saying I would use him in the 7th or 8th, especially starting the inning.

1 Like

I’m with you. I trust Javier more than most anybody in that bullpen

1 Like

I still want 2 other guys to go with Javier and Pressly.

3 Likes

2 would be great but idk how realistic that is. If we can get a 9th inning guy or really good 8th inning guy to make everyone else go down a slot, it may be enough. You would have some combo of Pressly/new guy, to cover the 8/9, Javier to be a 7/8 guy, Stanek a 6/7 guy. Maybe you get Baez at some point to add in, one of the current 6 starters will move to the pen at some point unless there is an injury, probably one of Urquidy/Garcia and if we happen to make the postseason and everyone is healthy, could be both. There is a path of getting only 1 and being ok.

1 Like

Agree.

Realistically one of those spots really needs to be filled by someone already on the roster.

Click has said that the CBT (luxury tax) is not a hard cap.

We’ll see.

The luxury tax isn’t the only concern, the Astros farm system is not what it once was. They may not have the firepower to get 2 impact arms

2 Likes

We’ll see. Let me dream, dammit

If this team can get into the postseason, they can do serious damage. Only thing holding them back is the bullpen.

Two arms is a fantasy dream. Get one really good arm to close, and we are fine. I am with Doyce on this.

1 Like

JV said he might be able to throw some relief in October.

There’s a dream for you.

1 Like