News & Notes from the AL West

Is there a list somewhere? Did not see one there.

Here is what I was able to find based on Seager’s call up date of July 7th 2011:
Mariner pitched no hitters
Combined on 6/8/12
King Felix 8/15/12 (perfect 1-0 game)
Iwakuma 8/12/15
Paxton 5/8/18

Mariners no hit
Humber (White Sox) 4/21/12
Combined (Angels - all wearing 45 to honor Skaggs) 7/12/19
Combined (Astros) - 8/3/19
Means (O’s) - 5/5/21
Turnbull (Tigers) 5/18/21

That is 9, and thanks!

Much talk on twitter currently on Ohtani’s velocity being down tonight against Cleveland (though he’s only allowed 1 run in 3 innings)…

Any more on this? I saw he went 4.2 with 72 pitches.

I hope he stays healthy as he is so uniquely good.

1 Like

Ohtani and Joe Maddon are denying he’s hurt. Yeah it would be a shame if there is something wrong with him. Lot of eyes will be on his next start.

1 Like

Rodon having himself quite a year. Finally meeting the hype at 28 and in a contract year. Since he’s always been slider dominant, I wonder what’s behind its newfound success.

I remember a big question the year Rodon was drafted whether the Astros would take him. IIRC, he had a great year the year before but was only so so in his draft year.

Sounds about right. Seems like the hype at one point was at Strasburg levels. Probably the year before he was eligible.

That is how I recall it. The Astros would have the first pick, and at one point, Rodon seemed to be their guy.

Yeah, there was a long stretch of that year where it was assumed the Astros and Cubs were in a race for Rodon.

I remember thinking he would be our pick.

It would be nice if the A’s would lose a game every now and then.

5 Likes

Very annoying, those pesky A’s. They haven’t lost in a week and are 15-5 over their last 20 games.

1 Like

Oakland will come back to the pack.

The fact that they simply aren’t as deep or talented as the Astros is one thing

But. . .

They have played 7 more games at home and 8 more games against teams .500 or below than the Astros.

The Astros are averaging 5.6 runs per game, A’s 4.5. But both teams give up an average of 4.1.

It’s a long season and the peripherals say the Astros are the better team and should over take them.

I just wish the advantage extending to the manager.

3 Likes

I’m not too worried about the standings until we get to say mid-August. As long as your not like 15 games back, it’s all noise up until that point. Gotta beat the teams you need to beat, then you get 6 games against the A’s in the last 9 days. It’s like an NBA playoff game…just gotta keep pace then be ready to slug it out in the last 2 minutes. That’s where it’s all gonna be decided.

3 Likes

So you’re saying the 9th inning of each game is going to last an hour and a half?

1 Like

That’s not funny.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m just speaking truth here!