Lineup

EXACTLY!!! What if Maldonado’s HBP last night had broken his forearm??

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. It seems Crane is a Dusty man.

1 Like

Manfred wouldn’t let him anyway.

Sure of what? I said Crane will never bring AJ back.

Never mind. It’s Happy Hour here. I turned my phone over to my wife until 8:00.
A.M.

2 Likes

There’s an interesting lineup discussion with Dusty in yesterday’s Chronicle. Astros insider: Dusty Baker responds to lineup questions. Dusty’s explanation boils down to this is a team built around pitching, not offense, and I have to put the best defense on the field to support particular pitchers. I think that boils down to Dusty doesn’t trust Mancini’s defense.

There’s another column today on how the Astros have made Mancini controversial, but it’s not particularly enlightening. Houston Astros: Trey Mancini's usage becoming controversial

Dusty is an idiot about Mancini, and the message he is sending to his player is terrible. That, to me, is evidence he was not consulted about the trade. Keeping Mancini on the bench is a measure of childish revenge if he is silently pouting about not being consulted, but I would like to think Dusty is bigger than that.

Implying Mancini will hurt the defense is insulting. Dusty should not say that again. Mancini can and should play regularly in a rotation of sorts between DH/1B/LF. He will be fine. If Mancini is not trustworthy on defense, why did Click trade for him? The team already had a DH. Mancini is on the team to help the offense, not the defense, and adequate defense is what he will provide. He is not going to hit consistently if he does not play consistently, and Dusty, being a hitter himself, should know that.

The more the media presses on this issue, the more defensive Dusty will be. Click must get involved quietly ASAP and put an end to this bs. He traded for Mancini for a reason, and that needs to be made clear to the manager with a directive if need be.

Dusty is the same guy who once put Goodrum batting 4th, iirc. He continues to ignore McCormick’s splits, and the Myers faint but fond hope continues every day. I believe Dusty is a good man who deserves the HOF, but his lineups and his implied accusation are detrimental to Mancini and to this team.

3 Likes

It’s pretty simple: if the organization really wanted to prioritize defense at all costs, there’s no way you would trade one of the best defenders in CF for a 1b/DH. Dusty needs to get on board.

Mancini’s head must be spinning. He needs to know what his role is with the team and right now he has no idea.

1 Like

I like Dusty perfectly well but have been completely stumped by his refusal to use the best players in obvious situations.

I think either Dusty or Click will be gone next year.

I guess Crane likes Dusty so if he wants to return next year it may happen.

If that does happen, Click may ask/look for a way out. No idea if there is one but I think Dusty frustrates him and is winning the pissing contest at the moment.

I have been more and more impressed with Click each transaction he makes. He hasn’t made the flashy superstar move that Luhnow did, but almost all of his decisions have helped the team.

My hope is that Click and Espada are the guys next year.

3 Likes

Mancini could not have expressed his happiness and excitement about joining the Astros more than he did. This stuff must be like cold water dumped on his head.

2 Likes

They traded for Mancini specifically because they’ve gotten squat from Gurriel at 1B. He’s here to help take up the run-producing slack, one way or another. It’s unfortunate that Dusty refuses to try to make that happen.

My hope is that if the Astros want Mancini back,:

Dusty does not return

Yuli retires and agrees to a personal services/asst to GM deal.

Click can convince him that with neither Dusty nor Yuli on the team that he will get regular playing time.

Personal services contracts are not allowed. And why would you want one anyway?

Dusty is manager of this team as long as he wants. That’s just the way it is.

Mancini is perfectly capable of playing left field. So is Alvarez. There is no reason whatsoever, other than Dusty’s hurt feelings, that Yuli, Alvarez and Mancini can’t be in the lineup at the same time. I believe he was acquired for a combination of Yuli’s regression this year and the uncertainty on Brantley’s injury.

I would like Yuli to have a role in recruiting/development.

He would be very valuable recruiting young Cuban and other players, especially Latin American position players.

He also SHOULD be a valuable resource for developing hitting and infield.

Just my thoughts

And perhaps I misspoke about personal services contract but thats what I meant.

You can hire him into a position in the organization, but it has to be a legitimate working position. MLB cracked down on this “personal services” nonsense a decade ago.

If you want to hire him as a scout or coach, ok. I have no idea is that’s something he wants to do or not.

I get that but what about the contracts that former players have?

Isn’t Reggie Jackson in the organization in some capacity?

Yes, he has a legitimate job, and he’s been retired for sometime now, having never played for the Astros. Again, you can hire former players to legitimate jobs in the organization, you just can’t offer a “personal services” contract as an incentive for a player to retire or include a post-playing position in a player contract anymore.

I thought he was crushed by the lady in the upper deck who was shot with Frank Drebin’s dart when Reggie was trying to kill the queen?

2 Likes