Incoming TX Cold

Look at this shit…

https://twitter.com/texasrrtx/status/1361808743306911744?s=21

Texas literally robbing Peter to power Paul.

Baseball fans would know that karma is a bitch.

Here’s an update I received from my electricity service (who I thoroughly recommend, btw):

\ 165x36
We want to send an update this morning to help you set expectations on when power will return and when power will be stable. As always, we are 100% transparent with our customers and we feel you should know how we are thinking about this and how we are making plans with our own families.

We cannot stress enough that we do not have any non-public information. The statements below are strictly our opinion, based on our knowledge of Texas power market operations and conversations we have had with wholesale power market experts currently working in the industry.

We believe these long-duration power outages will last through Friday, and possibly even through Sunday. If power comes on you should not expect it to last all that long. We hope we are wrong.

Here are a few factors that go into this thinking. Some are technical but we want to communicate what we know and how we’re thinking through it:

• ERCOT cannot seem to get above 50,000 MW of generation. During peak demand times (mornings and evenings) over the next few days, the total Texas demand would be around 65,000 MW if everyone had power. This means there is an increased chance you get power during low demand periods like 10pm-5am and 12pm-4pm…but then it may go off during those high demand periods again.
  • Natural gas power plants, which power much of the Texas grid, receive natural gas deliveries to them daily via pipelines. Since this past weekend, they have struggled to get fuel (largely because of natural gas well freeze-offs) and we don’t see much reason for this to change over the next few days. If they don’t have fuel they cannot run.
  • Even power plants that have fuel struggle to run at maximum capacity for days-on-end. Many plants are just not made for it and when pushed too hard, they break, and that is what we have seen here. Repair of those plants takes time.
  • Wholesale power price futures for the next 5 days, traded by market participants with a lot more knowledge than us, are indicating this grid-wide stress continues through the weekend.

Again, we will continue to communicate information that we feel is important. Please try to stay safe and warm.

Follow on http://www.ercot.com/

So, as we already know, the bucket is the same.

Thanks for that info, though.

This is damning:

Damn windmills

I know everyone knows this, but here’s a handy graphic with which to slap someone upside the head who claims it’s because of renewables

Just got a notice to boil water until further notice. For those of you still suffering without power, I apologize for the crushing irony.

Maybe the people who got the notice have gas stoves.

1 Like

I’m on the 8th floor; if I don’t have power, I don’t have water.

I just want water to flush.

1 Like

AOC for the win again.

2 Likes

If you can collect melting snow or rainwater, you can pour it in the tank and flush. Even pooled water from the gutters or anywhere you can get it.

If i get that dire I’m taking my bucket to the pool. I am rationing but seriously does anyone know when this nightmare is going to end?

I’m not excited about carrying water to the third floor.

Not sure anyone knows when the power/water issues will be resolved. At this point the weather forecast is the most reliable/predictable thing about this mess.

I’ve been using pool water to flush since yesterday. But I only have to carry it upstairs.

We live in the most hubristic state in the Union. We are paying for that now. 49 other states (and DC and PR) are trying to be polite but are laughing behind our back.

1 Like

And our politicians are saying “suck it up, buttercup…our forefathers blazed a pioneering trail to Texas, with no power, not running water…” I’m not sure why they like to point out the Old West, as if Texas hasn’t entered the 20th century yet.

3 Likes

That US power outage map needs to be sent to every bureaucrat in Austin.

ETA: Also what it up with Portland? It used to be such a nice place.

1 Like