HOF 2023

Beltran was a Yankee though, so he couldn’t have been as culpable as Altuve.

1 Like

Yes, I can see it already: “Beltran was a hall-of-famer before he ever cheated, which surely happened for the first and only time with the Astros in 2017. Altuve, on the other hand…”

Another update on known ballots

I’m surprised David Wright isn’t doing better. Not that I think he’s a HOFer, but I figured he’d get something in the teens.

Has Wagner said what team he’ll go in under?

I don’t think he gets a choice; the Hall will decide.

2 Likes

It’ll be as an Astro. He had 9 seasons as an Astros, 7 all other teams combined, nobody else more than 3 full seasons.

1 Like

He’ll shake off a team or two, and then go in on another Astro FB

eta: only if Jim Leyritz approves

3 Likes

Net gained votes through 129 ballots. Note that “gained” in this case is a flipped vote from no to yes or vice versa, not number of votes vs this time last year

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1744493313464611258?t=lPfP11e3W8SEuVRDXMyu0g&s=19

Text for those without twitter:

Net gained/lost votes through 129 ballots (~33.6% of the vote):

Beltrán +12
Sheffield +9
Wagner +5
Rollins +4
Vizquel +2
Hunter +1
Helton +0
Ramírez +0
Abreu -1
Jones -1
A-Rod -1
K-Rod -2
Buehrle -5
Pettitte -5

Who the fuck suddenly decided to start voting for Vizquel?

Been asking myself this for fucking weeks. He’s a borderline AT BEST candidate even without being a grade A piece of shit

They couldn’t get off their asses to vote for Trammell, and Vizquel wasn’t 1/10 of the player. PLUS Vizquel’s at least grade A POS.

145 ballots in

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1745149038461399229?t=MYXO_kpafKd47r9yaKNhQQ&s=19

Text

With 145 ballots revealed/~37.8% known:

Beltré - 98.5%
Mauer - 83.4%
Helton - 82.8%
Wagner - 79.3%
Sheffield - 75.2%

Jones - 69.7%
Beltrán - 66.9%
Utley - 46.2%
A-Rod - 39.3%
Ramírez - 36.6%
Abreu - 18.6%
Pettitte - 13.8%
Rollins - 13.8%
Vizquel - 10.3%
Wright - 7.6%
Buehrle - 6.9%
K-Rod - 6.9%

Hunter - 3.4%
Bautista - 1.4%
Colón - 0.7%
Holliday - 0.7%

1 Like

I’m still unclear as to the rationale in voting for Sheffield, but not ARod or Ramirez. I get that one or two guys may differ, but there’s quite a few willing to forgive Sheffield but not the others. An odd choice, IMO.

3 Likes

The main rationale is that Arod and Manny were both actually suspended for steroid use whereas for Sheffield he is merely suspected of steriod use. Many people draw a line in the sand, 2004, and say “anybody using after that point will never get my vote”

Sheffield has admitted using. I guess that absolves him somewhat in their eyes.

I’m surprised Sheffield is getting such strong consideration regardless of the PED stuff. Very good hitter, and 500 HR is a significant stat, but he bounced around a lot and wasn’t really beloved by anyone.

I’ve never really understood the baseball reference HOF monitor, but here’s his assessment:

Black Ink
Batting - 4 (537th), Average HOFer ≈ 27
Gray Ink
Batting - 123 (195th), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor
Batting - 158 (82nd), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
Batting - 61 (29th), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Seems borderline without all the extracurricular crap.

1 Like

That would be the pre vs post 2004 thing

I think those who vote for him give a lot of credence to him being the “most feared” hitter of his time.

A Google search for “gary sheffield most feared” returns an awful lot of results.

I think, statistically, he is just a little above the borderline. His cumulative stats are there, and he was a 9 time all-star, won a batting title, played on a WS winner, 5 times silver slugger, and 6 time top 10 MVP vote getter. I think it’s all the extracurricular crap that brings him down to a borderline candidate.