HOF 2023

This reminds me it’s time to watch Oceans 11 again.

I was gonna mention that one. Also 12 Monkeys, Kalifornia, and True Romance.

Inglorious Bastards.

I disliked that movie, but it had little or nothing to do with Pitt. Sometimes Tarentino is clever, and sometimes he’s gratuitous. Inglorious Bastards was the latter.

I thought it was pretty great.

I liked it in spite of Pitt. I just think he’s an awful actor.

I think he has a bad voice and is miscast as a leading man.

Significant Sigma Chi Brad Pitt was el terrible circa Seven, Legends of the Fall, Meet Joe Black, etc. He learned how to act, though.

2 Likes

He all but ruined ‘12 Monkeys’ for me with his over-the-top hysteria.

Official announcement tomorrow evening.

In the Thibodaux tabulations (46.7% of votes counted):

Wagner is currently running at 73.5%. Best guess is he falls a tad short this time but then becomes a slam dunk to get elected next year.

Kent currently at 51.9%. He’ll have to rely on the Contemporary Era Committee to get in since this is his last year on the BBWAA ballot. Players of his era like Fred McGriff (39.8%), Lee Smith (50.6%) and Harold Baines (6.1%) failed in the BBWAA vote but eventually got in via the committee route so there’s a pretty good chance he will eventually as well.

Beltran (55.7%), Abreu (19.5%) and Pettitte (17.3%) will all return to the ballot next year.

And, bingo. Wagner misses with 68% and will almost certainly make it in ‘24. Rolen is the only one elected on the writers’ ballot, joining McGriff as the ‘23 inductees.

Beltran gets 46.5%.

Finished at 46.5% (up from 32.7% in '21).

Rolen only had 10.2% on his first go-around in 2018.

First player ever to get less than 15% on his first ballot, but then earn election by the writers.

Actually, there have been several. Bob Lemon got 11.9% his first year, Bill Terry only got 4% on his first go, and Lou Boudreau got a paltry 1.0%. Gabby Hartnett got 0.8% (just two votes). Maybe others too.

Rabbit Maranville got 12.4% on his first ballot, and eventually got in, but that was in the first couple of years when the voting goals and process was different.

Bert Blyleven got 17.5% on his first ballot, but then fell to 14.1% on his second. On his 10th, he got 47.7%, but he was under the old 15-year rule, so who knows what it would have been had it been his last.

Well – my bad. Thanks, MLB.com, for steering me wrong!

(This is still in their article: “In the history of the BBWAA voting process, no player had ever gotten less than 15% support on his first ballot and gone on to be elected by the writers.”)

Is there any less relevant media group than the BBWA?

I suppose it may be a tie amongst them and many others.

White House press corps.

5 Likes

Probably don’t need a new thread for 2024 but here’s where things stand currently

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1742312173316272510?t=EyT7eKVNWiZLvWonrVweew&s=19

For those without twitter

With 105 ballots revealed/~27.3% known:

Beltré - 98.1%
Helton - 82.9%
Mauer - 82.9%
Wagner - 80.0%

Sheffield - 73.3%
Beltrán - 64.8%
Jones - 64.8%
Utley - 44.8%
A-Rod - 43.8%
Ramírez - 41.0%
Abreu - 20.0%
Pettitte - 14.3%
Rollins - 12.4%
Vizquel - 12.4%
Buehrle - 8.6%
K-Rod - 7.6%
Wright - 6.7%

Hunter - 1.9%
Bautista - 1.0%
Colón - 1.0%
Holliday - 1.0%

3 Likes

Encouraging to see Beltran so close to induction. I’m sure there won’t be a ton of rationality with Beltran vs. Altuve, but at least we’re starting from a point where Beltran’s chances haven’t been sunk by 2017.

5 Likes