HOF 2023

Stark with an excellent summation of his Beltran decision:

I also look at the pre-testing PED era and wonder how we’re supposed to have any idea who was “cheating” and who wasn’t. It’s not like baseball ever handed us a list. In the same way, I look at the Astros and wonder how many other teams were doing pretty much what they were doing — except no one could prove it.

I think about the reporting by Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich in The Athletic, which told of Beltrán arriving in Houston, after three seasons with the Yankees, and telling the Astros that their sign-stealing methods were “behind the times.” I can’t get that quote out of my head. Doesn’t it tell us how rampant the use of technology-aided sign stealing was in other places, before the Astros ever got good at it?

So in the end, I voted for Carlos Beltrán.

6 Likes

What really pisses me off is that the average MLB fan still believes the Astros are the Darth Vader of sports and were the only guilty party. I have a flag-waving Yankmee fan living across the street from me here in Georgetown. He still believes the Astros deprived the Yankmees of their ordained right to the championship in '17.

Ask him how many runs NYY scored in 4 games in Houston. The trash can did not cause that.

6 Likes

That’s one of the few things about the average MLB fan that makes me happy. I hope the hate eats them up. I’d remind that neighbor every single day that the 20217 World Series Champion Houston Astros stole his soul.

1 Like

It’s been more than 10 years since a ring. What are they supposed to do, play better than the other team?

2 Likes

No. It’s their ancestral right. Get with the program.

Pretty sure Jeter claimed prima nocte.

I had to look that up.

Me too. Google says it is prima nocta.

2 Likes

Didn’t y’all ever watch Braveheart?

1 Like

Braveheart is the Gladioator of crap movies

Which is amazing considering Brad Pitt wasn’t in it.

1 Like

It’s the Braveheart of crap movies.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Braveheart from start to finish. I thought it was supposed to be good. You know, like Costner’s Robin Hood.

I was predisposed to dislike it.

I disliked it.

1 Like

I was a 17 year old Scot-o-phile in San Antonio when that came out. I watched the movie, marched across the parking lot and confidently bought a six pack of McEwans. It was the first time in my life I wasn’t carded.

3 Likes

I liked Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. He was in that and didn’t mess it up.

2 Likes

Snatch. A very atypical role for him. I love that movie.

2 Likes

Burn After Reading too. And there’s nothing wrong with his character in the Oceans movies. I like Pitt.

1 Like