General TV Thread

Great S4 finale of Slow Horses last night. What a fantastic show, looking forward to S5.

3 Likes

I just finished S1.

Looks like I should get busy.

4 Likes

S3 is a little hampered by the writer’s strike but, otherwise, it’s solid gold for 4 seasons and counting.

S1 was a bit lame for me: oh, look at the plucky misfits sit in the restaurant and figure out how to use tech (which shouldn’t have been available to them) to track down a bad guy and then wind up in a shoot-out trap. Bleh.

The subsequent seasons have been much more entertaining, but the amount of weapon power brought to these standoffs seems unrealistic.

2 Likes

Slow Horse S5 is already in the can, and S6 has been greenlit.

There is a theory about why Apple TV’s (and other services) shows do well and Netflix’ don’t, despite Netflix putting out some quality programming. And it’s this: Netflix are almost certainly going to cancel the new show that you like after one season, so you don’t watch new shows on Netflix because there’s no point, so the viewership of new shows on Netflix is suppressed and Netflix cancels said new shows because of poor viewership.

There are so many good/great shows that stumbled out of the blocks but found their feet in subsequent seasons. Not everything is Battlestar Galactica. Netflix would pro0bably have killed BSG after one season too.

1 Like

Apple has deeper pockets and seems to commit to quality over quantity. Netflix seems to throw whatever at the wall and see what sticks. And I don’t think it’s entirely fair to say they will “almost certainly” cancel after one year. 3 Body Problem, Sandman, The Night Agent, and The Diplomat were all renewed.

IIRC Netflix’s numbers showed the most profitable thing was canceling after two seasons. One to hook you, another to string you along, after that you’re on to the next show.

First 2 episodes of Shrinking S2 dropped last night. I really enjoyed S1, looking forward to this season. Brett Goldstein (Roy Kent) is one of the writers, he is supposed to be a character in this season too.

2 Likes

Watched them both yesterday, it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Classic.

1 Like

I love Shrinking on Apple+. S2 is out; I will watch it!!!