General TV Thread

I didn’t know it was based on a book, for some reason I thought it was based on the David Mamet film, Homicide. I never watched the TV show. Perhaps I should.

ETA: I also like David Simon. I see now his book, Homicide: A Year On the Killing Streets.

There was one episode (about a sniper, maybe?) that ended with a long montage set to Joan Osborne’s “What If God Was One Of Us”. It was very haunting.

Yes, that is the one.

I assume the SciFi thread includes a bunch of spoilers on Ahsoka, so I don’t want to click. Plan on starting it tonight, what’s the general consensus on how it is so far?

I’m a fan, but I also really enjoyed Rebels. And surprisingly the Sci-Fi thread hasn’t gotten much into spoliers for Ahsoka - in fact, the last 50ish posts have been yet another Internet debate about which SW movie is the best one. Lots of new ground being covered, I tell you. And lots of emotion, which runs counter to the Jedi ethos, so I suppose most of OWA aligns with the Sith.

1 Like

I am no Jedi.

1 Like

Simon’s book “The Corner” is really good as well. Lots of later influences seen on The Wire.

They seem to be good about hiding spoilers, but I have no idea what’s a spoiler and what’s not. It’s gobbledygook to me.

I mentioned Ahsoka and my wife asked why I was going to watch a foreign language series.

1 Like

I said “Ahsoka” and one of my cats said “gesundheit”.

The Diplomat (Netflix) is a good show

1 Like

We really enjoyed it. Because of the writer’s strike, I have no idea when the second season will arrive.

Same, was a fun watch. Took me a while to warm up to Hal as all I could think about was his character in Man in the High Castle.

For some reason, social media swamp goblins have been questioning the talent of Martin Short. I have no idea what happened to put him in their crosshairs - recognizing that it quite likely was nothing actually real.

Anyway, for your information and enjoyment, here’s Martin Short shitting on Steve Martin for two minutes.

https://x.com/todd_spence/status/1701025662495326611

2 Likes

Idiots abound.

1 Like

Having watched S2 E1 of “Welcome to Wrexham”, I was struck by the crash course in being British that was inflicted on Messrs Reynolds and McElhenney.

First, they take etiquette lessons before meeting some bloke called Charles who was using their goodwill and celebrity as part of a PR effort to not be thought of as such a see you next Tuesday. Then…

Spoiler

…they get fucked over for a “Level Up” grant by Charles’ government.

1 Like

It’s the thing you didn’t know you needed. The Roy Kent f-bomb supercut.

5 Likes

This has probably been linked somewhere, and I apologize in advance. It would take a lot of digging for me to figure it out, so forgive a redundant post. It is the greatest car ad ever, and you can suffer watching it again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpWUEj5RoGc

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! I’d never seen that before. The women could really swing the stick!

I like how they didn’t get their clothes torn to shreds sliding around on pavement, or even dirty.