General Movie Thread

I got fed up with stumbling into spoilers, so I got off my ass and went to see Deadpool and Wolverine.

If you like Deadpool, then you’ll like this. If you are “meh” on Deadpool, you may not because they turn the Deadpool up to 12. Yes…one more than 11.

You need to be steeped in the MCU/X-Men movie history to get every callback. I suspect that I missed half of them, at least.

Jackman steals the show, but the cameos are some of the best elements and that why “spoilers” in this case really live up to that name. Two of my biggest laughs were cameo-based.

1 Like

Part of the “out of gas” is the pandemic and launch of Disney+ had corporate pushing Feige to churn out as much content as possible, quality be damned. “Secret Invasion” is a classic story that you take the time to do right, not rush out in a terrible miniseries.

Another factor is that they haven’t nailed the new-gen casting the way they did with the first. Of all the new characters, they have exactly two (Yulena and Kamala) that can break out as stars.

But I take hope from D&W in that it does get back to the best formula of “make various genre stories within MCU.” Jackman correctly identified that D&W is a buddy cop movie, and it makes the best of that genre. I laughed my ass off with it and it was a solid 8/10 for me.

I’m willing to wait and see on this. It may be a desperate stunt, or Feige may have an actual story way to make this work. It’s a huge risk that could be the final stake in MCU’s coffin, or a spark plug to reignite it.

I think bringing back Iron Man would be a mistake because it would negate the emotional payoff of the first 22 MCU films, rendering them all but meaningless.

Deadpool and Wolverine Spoiler

“Deadpool and Wolverine” starts with Deadpool claiming (through the 4th wall) that Wolverine didn’t die at the end of “Logan” because of his regenerative powers. He goes to Logan’s grave to dig him up, only to find his adamantium skeleton.

Clearly this was a fake-out to fuck with the die hard fans who hated the idea of Logan somehow being not dead. But even the Deadpool folks knew it would’ve been a terrible idea to invalidate the arc of just one movie, let alone 22.

The multiverse saga has been relatively poorly received by the broader movie-watching public, and I think part of it has to do with nothing having any consequences. This started with “Endgame”. As I have said before, it seems that the only person who died and who is going to stay dead is Black Widow.

1 Like

I have no clue what a multiverse is, except that I suspect it demands more brainwork than I really want to invest in the Marvel Universe.

5 Likes

I could not imagine watching 22 movies in order to qualify the statement that the next ones undermined the previous 22.

5 Likes

The only thing in the “multiverse” I can think of that I really liked was the 2 seasons of “Loki”

2 Likes

I stopped at WandaVision. Which it appeared at the time at least, that I was the only person I knew that enjoyed the fuck out of that show.

My gf liked the different kind of tv sitcom eras they did, and that was cool, but I remember nothing about the actual story.

Yeah… it seemed to me folks missed that she created the entire reality and series of sitcom vignettes and those told a compelling story. I thought it was extremely creative. Then I watched a bit of Loki and said “yeah, no thanks”

1 Like

I thought Wanda Vision was great as well.

Super creative way to tell the story.

2 Likes

I’ll allow it.

I think WandaVision was one of the only MCU shows that was widely well regarded.

2 Likes

I liked WandaVision, and I kinda liked Loki, but I have no clue why they fit into the multiverse.

1 Like

I seem to remember they ruined it/her with Doctor Strange 2’s multiverse, which is where I really stopped caring about the franchise story arc

I loved Marvel Comic books when I was a kid. As an adult the movies and tv shows just aren’t interesting to me. I find them soulless with no sense of pathos. Nothing there to even trigger a nostalgic look back to my childhood.

2 Likes

Nice Ralph Steadman

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this. Maybe Disney could have a part of the Marvel multiverse where there is no multiverse.

I’ve enjoyed Time Bandits. if I could remember it, the original was probably better, but the kid in the remake is the best part of the show and I’m pretty sure that wasn’t true in the original.

Lawrence of Arabia is on the big screen Sunday and Monday at various theaters. I’ve never seen it and am taking care of that tomorrow. 4 hours and 12 minutes…hope it’s worth it.

4 Likes

It’s a banquet for your eyes.