General Movie Thread

It is well worth it.

It is the most beautiful movie Iā€™ve ever seen. David Lean was a genius.

1 Like

One stat about the movie is that it took longer to film than it did for the actual events depicted to occur.

Also, for the epic introduction of Sherif Ali, Lean had a special 450mm lens made that has never been used again. Itā€™s called the ā€œLean Lensā€.

Now, Iā€™ve never seen it mentioned anywhere, but thereā€™s absolutely no way that that Python is not referencing that shot here:

2 Likes

Just straight up among the most interesting ambitious intelligent movies ever made.

3 Likes

I cannot imagine the logistics of that movie. Some shots needed what looked like hundreds of square miles of pristine, clean, empty desert. Maybe Iā€™m being naive, and there is plenty of desert like that, but thereā€™s not a single animal or vehicle track visible.

And, when Lean wanted a shot of biplanes flying at low level through a canyon dropping bombs on people and horses, they had to actually fly biplanes through a canyon at low level while people and horses reacted to the timed charges that simulated the bombs.

Apparently, the train they crashed for real is still there.

Hejaz Railway Trains

2 Likes

Just got home from the screening. I was a little disappointed AMC didnā€™t put it on the biggest screen they had, but still well worth the experience of seeing it in the theater. Gorgeous.

4 Likes

He really is Marvel Jesus.

1 Like

Timely.

2 Likes

I watched Shaun of the Dead last weekend, because itā€™s turning 20 this year. So I think I will watch Hot Fuzz this weekend.

Because Google can read your thoughts, this came up on my YT feed. A thoroughly entertaining watch and some astounding ā€œhow it was doneā€ explanation from Wright himself.

[Spoiler: for the most part, the answer is that they just did if for real]

1 Like

Including the church spire at the end?

The church spire was now very obvious CGI, sadly. It was interesting to me how some of the scenes where you thought CGI had to be involved either wasnā€™t, or was used not how you expected.

• The Baby Driver double-180 slide, they CGIā€™d in the first very missable truck as an afterthought; the second very hittable truck was actually real.

• For Last Night in Soho, almost all the dance switches were done for real, with only one being a ā€œtrickā€, but it was just a tight edit and no CGI involved.

Iā€™ll be in my bunkā€¦for quite a while.

ā€œNo sir you canā€™t buy a season pass to one movieā€

1 Like