General Movie Thread

My apologies if we already have a thread for this (I did look)

New Edgar Wright film looks CRAZY

1 Like

That looks awesome!

For those of you not quite familiar with Edgar Wright, in addition to Baby Driver, he was also in on the initial script for Ant-Man, before being booted oddly. He also co-wrote (with Simon Pegg) and directed the Cornetto Trilogy of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World’s End, which are hilarious send-ups of, respectively, zombie movies, buddy cop movies and apocalyptic movies, while being excellent examples of, respectively, a zombie movie, a buddy cop movie and an apocalyptic movie.

Wright’s movies are packed full of subliminal imagery which, if you’re paying attention and are on your second (at least) viewing, drops hints large and small about the story that is unfolding. His movies are always funny but also visually interesting and unique.

And then, of course, there is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It’s one of my favorite movies. It is a comic book adaptation before they were a thing. It was marketed horribly and was a box office flop as a result. It has since earned its deserved cult status, and it holds up incredibly well today.

It’s chock full of then up and coming stars, and has amazing music. Here’s a music video that came from the movie - Brie Larson doing an excellent job on Metric’s “Black Sheep” - but which showcases (without really spoiling) the unique visual style of Wright’s movie:

Scott Pilgrim is still on my to-watch list (I don’t know why I haven’t seen it yet).

Also of note on Soho, this is the last credited role of Diana Rigg. I admit I only know her from Game of Thrones, but I know when she passed, a lot of you were reminiscing about her earlier roles as well. Just thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

It’s on Netflix and YouTube currently, although I think you have to suffer the jarring insertion (NTTAWWT) of commercials on the latter.

1 Like

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel - the Black Widow before there was a Black Widow:

I’ll be in my bunk.

3 Likes

Man, she was great.

1 Like

That show was before my time and I never got Al Bundy’s enthusiasm about her until much, much later. It’s a great scene, but there’s only a really crappy copy of it on youtube

Loved The Avengers and watched it every week.

I was maybe 8 or 9 when The Avengers showed up on American tv. Diana Rigg was my first crush.

Well, shoot, I must have been 4 or 5 then.

1 Like

I looked it up. ABC started airing it in 1965, Friday nights maybe?

Do not remember the night, but I watched it. 1965 I was 19 going on 20 in Sept.

1 Like

Ha!

No shit.

Happy 40th birthday McLovin

2 Likes

Just wanted to let you know I picked it up on iTunes (currently on sale for 7.99), PLUS it just got updated to 4k Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos on iTunes as well, so I’ll be watching it soon. Maybe this weekend.

Following the alternating good-bad pattern of the Craig Bonds, this one should be good.

Looking at the trailer…yep!

Mickey’s got some ‘splainin’ to do.

Seems that ScarJo’s earnings from the film is based on box office performance, which was then torpedoed by the simultaneous release on the streaming platform. The suit claims that her contract guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release.

That should be easy to prove if true.

Yep. I’m guessing you don’t come for the Mouse unless you’ve got the receipts. Especially as they own about half the studios in Hollywood.

2 Likes