General Movie Thread

Yes, the people of gedi prime were unfairly depicted in black and white. Outrageous.

This was not an oscar-bait project. Its the best bride of frankenstein ever. And fucking hilarious. Literally.

1 Like

Just watched Napolean today. It was okay, not great.

Couldnā€™t get over the fact that Joaquin Phoenix looked just like Tony Larussa.

4 Likes

Be seeing you.

https://movieweb.com/christopher-nolans-next-movie-remake-the-prisoner/

Following his various victories at this yearā€™s Academy Awards, everyone has been left wondering what Oppenheimer director Christopher Nolan will do next. While there are rumors floating around that he could helm the next James Bond outing, a recent report from Variety has claimed that Nolanā€™s next movie will be based on the 1967 British television series, The Prisoner.

For sure.

This is insane! Buh-bye subtitles.

1 Like

Sydney Sweeney is slated to star in a remake of Barbarella. Iā€™m generally against remakes but, in this case, Iā€™ll allow it.

4 Likes

6 Likes

My God, please donā€™t fuck this one up.

As an aside, in anticipation of the delivery of Aliens in 4K, I watched Alien in 4K last night. While for some movies the 4K is a higher quality picture but thatā€™s about it, with Alien it is a whole different experience.

The level of detail that you can see is revelatory against even a full 1080p version. Because the movie lit so dimly and selectively, my old Blu Ray copy just had a lot of dark areas around the subject of the frame, but not so in the 4K version. Instead of dark areas, you can see all the detail of the wonderful set. So much to see and enjoy that simply isnā€™t there on lower resolution versions.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Nothing could get me to watch an Alien movie after Prometheus.

3 Likes

I watched Covenant onceā€¦ONCE. It was Prometheusā€™ Alien 3.

I have not looked up any plot synopses for Romulus, but the trailer makes it look like a return to the original Alien timeline than the prequel timeline. I mean, there are 57 years between Alien and Aliens, so there is ample time for someone else to have stumbled across some eggs somewhere else in the galaxyā€¦

I saw Alien at the Uptown in DC, played on 70mm film and displayed on a massive curved screen that went to your peripheral vision on each side. I was 14 years old. I could not sleep for weeks.

That trailer seems to have gone back to the Alien ā€œrootsā€ but seems to suffer from 2020-itis. More blood, more face huggers moving even faster than the original does not make something better. The sheer brilliance of Scottā€™s original Alien was the relatively slow pace and what you did not see (or thought you saw out of the corner of your eye) that totally creeped you out. For two hours.

2 Likes

I saw Alien at the theatre aged 14, so ditto. Wasnā€™t a 70mm showing though. I did have to walk home at night in fog, so that was fun.

Yeah, it has the look of an Alien / Aliens hybrid. The ship is clearly inspired by the Nostrimo, but the gun that new Ripley is holding at the end looks a lot like a Colonial Marineā€™s pulse rifle. The multiple, fast moving face huggers is very Aliens too.

Thatā€™s what got me thinking that this will fall somewhere between those two movies.

And, yeah, Iā€™m not sure weā€™re ever again going to see a movie take so much time to crank the screws like Ridleyā€™s original.

Alien: Romulus is, indeed, set in between Alien and Aliens, and is a stand alone side story.

Just got home from seeing Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.

I really enjoyed it. It had a little bit of everything to go along with a family-unit driven main plot. Lots of laughs, lots of callbacks, plenty of old Ghostbusters, and some pretty well done special effects.

1 Like

Re: Ghostbusters, Iā€™ll watch that.

1 Like

Follow up: the 4K rendering of Aliens is absolutely spectacular.

1 Like

Name this band:

Iā€™ll start: Eclectic Crime Orchestra

1 Like

The Trump Organization

3 Likes

I donā€™t give a shit who they are, but I love the Allman Brothers

1 Like

Wang Chung, from To Live and Die in LA.

2 Likes