General Movie Thread

8 Likes

In a similar vein, this has been doing the rounds:

2 Likes

Too good not to share:

1 Like

For any anime fans who like darker material,

We finally watched the Death Note live action movies, and “Last Name” and “Light Up the World” were great. The middle film, “L: Change the World” can (and should) be skipped with the one tidbit of L taking Near to the orphanage.

Emma Stone won the Best Actress award at the Oscars despite going full retard. Is nothing sacred?

2 Likes

Note that she did not stay full retard.
Also note that she fucked up a storm and did her own nude scenes.
Pretty sure what use her character would find for that shiny golden metal man…
Huzzah!

2 Likes

Just back from Dune 2. We are not on the same page (- absolutely hated it).

Re: Dune, why?

It wasn’t sci-fi, the sound was bad and I did not care for the racial stereotyping.

The first hour of Dune One was amazing to me. Then, it went cliche-monster.

I turned it off after about 20 minutes, so I did not see her full maturation.

1 Like

Me too. It was just so… uninteresting.

2 Likes

Bingo.

I had zero interest in any of the characters.

1 Like

I think Yorgos Lanthimos gets amazing performances out of his actors, but after digesting The Lobster and The Favourite I realized I detest him and his whole style. Being disgusting and manipulative doesn’t make you interesting. I had no interest in seeing Poor Things, but I’m sure Emma Stone was good in it, because she’s an excellent actress and (again) Lanthimos really does get good performances.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not surprised.

I fucking HATE the Lobster.

2 Likes

Same for me. Could only hang for 20 minutes. No pathos. Very cold and unmoving, not funny or clever.

1 Like

Classic Oscar-bait, though. The Academy loves to vote for movies that are all about the process, or a meta-commentary on the movie industry.

Me too. All the more because I think Colin Farrell did a great job and the whole funky speech pattern thing was neat. I just wish it hadn’t been wasted on such a soulless movie.

I would’ve seen Poor Things anyway–I loved the Favorite and was intrigued by the Lobster–but my biggest draw was the writer. I’ll watch anything Tony McNamara’s involved in.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of any Fremen complaining about their portrayal in the movie.