General Movie Thread

Or Téem for short.

1 Like

Just don’t say it while pointing at someone.

Speaking of Dune…

429993592_282537278044548_4190858948165659075_n

2 Likes

American Pie / Dune cross-over.

Rewatched Dune part 1 and it was even better the second time. What an amazing looking and sounding film.

2 Likes

More retro-Cabrera, basis free trials of an app- “Quiet Place.” Seller, as it first tried to re-do “Metalhead” and succeeded but then decided it preferred “Alien” and became a farce.

I bought the 4K version recently and have watched it a couple of times since. I always use headphones because - as visually stunning as it is - the sound is absolutely something else.

Villaneuve recently said he’s stopping at Dune Messiah because the other books get too weird.

3 Likes

Saw Dune Part Deux last night.

Great. Fucking. Movie.

I fully intend to rewatch Part One (again), perhaps this weekend since we’re getting a hell of a rain in Northern California for the next few days, then go see Part Two shortly thereafter.

ETA - @Matt that makes a lot of sense; we literally had this same discussion at dinner last night before the movie about which books would Villeneuve film. Just can’t see him making a movie about a sandworm emperor who rules the galaxy for 5000 years.

1 Like

I read in the NYT yesterday that viileneuve wants to make a 3rd movie w/ Dune Messiah, but the studio hadn’t committed. It also said he wanted to wait 10 years to allow the actors to age.

2 Likes

Sure I think it might be a bit much for most people but he’s proven he knows how to adapt the material so I wish he’d take a crack at it.

1 Like

We finished romcom month last night with Roman Holiday. We started baseball movie month with Bad News Bears. I had forgotten the Carmen soundtrack, which is one of the best parts of the movie.

ETA: Nietsche claimed to have seen Carmen more than 70 times. It makes anything better, even Nietsche.

4 Likes

Finally watched “Napoleon” last night. Synopsis: military genius brought down due to inability to screw very well.

1 Like

Watched “Oppenheimer” last night. Intense. Should sweep the awards, including Florence Pugh for Best Supporting Gratuitous Nudity

3 Likes

Gratuitous nudity! As I sink back to my second childhood, that’s my kind of movie!

2 Likes

I’ve seen Dune 2 described as being so dark it’s like a piano being played by only the black keys.

I can’t wait.

1 Like

Oppenheimer is the last movie (because NOLAN LOVES BOOMS) I’ve seen in a theater…Dune 2 is the next

2 Likes

Wait until you see the scenes shot with an infrared camera.

1 Like

Rewatching Groundhog Day and it just occurred to me: it’s a video game and everyone but Phil is an NPC. You keep re-doing the level until you get it right, in the meantime, you can do whatever the fuck you’d want but you won’t progress.

2 Likes

It’s so good, the progress! Groundhog Day rocks. It’s 900+ years - always Groundhog Day. I’ve watched that before my stroke 65 times and after my stroke 7 times and it’s still funny. #10 on my list of the best movie of all time.

1 Like