General Movie Thread

Real and spectacular.

I was just made aware of an outtake scene from Black Mirror that shows them off in all of their glory.

Iā€™ll be in my dystopian bunk

The Dune novels are a hole in my nerd resume, but I figured Iā€™d give the movie a shot.

Itā€™s beautiful, but itā€™sā€¦ fine? A little better than average? I just donā€™t get all the love for it.

98% criticsā€™ rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It will be interesting to see where the audience score lands.

I, too, havenā€™t read the books, but I enjoyed Villeneuveā€™s Part 1 so I am looking forward to seeing Part 2. Of course, for all its faults, I kinda liked the Lynch version too.

2 Likes

To be clear, I was watching part 1.

2 Likes

Understanding how difficult it is to capture the books and then seeing it right there almost perfectly captured on the big screen is an incredible feeling if you are a fan of the book. Thatā€™s what all the praise is about.

2 Likes

Just promise me we get Zendayaā€™s character yelling ā€œheā€™s not the Messiah, heā€™s a naughty boy!ā€

1 Like

I loved the first book in college, and never read the others, but I was really excited about seeing the first David Lynch movie. It was horrible. Seeing the first part of the Villeneuve version was such a joy. I donā€™t think it was merely average, but it was so much better than the Lynch that it could have been a bit worse than average and I still would have celebrated it.

I watched the first movie again on a recent plane flight, and it was beautiful, properly sparse, and close to the book. Iā€™ll go to the movies for the second installment, which also, if you havenā€™t read it, is still the first book.

The Lynch version has a 37% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and thatā€™s generous. There was a Linda Hunt line in the Lynch that, had it been delivered 40 years later, would have achieved permanent meme status for its awfulness. It kinda sums up the Lynch movie. YARN | I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper. | Dune (1984) | Video clips by quotes | 742aa7de | ē“—.

1 Like

Or Rebecca Ferguson commenting that ā€œheā€™s just not a farmer, he has too much of his father in himā€.

I guess Iā€™ll watch the (Villeneuve) Dune movie but first Iā€™ll have to over my aversion to the spelling of TimothĆ©e.

2 Likes

Dune (Part 1) is a masterpiece. I watched it 6 times. (Dune [Part 2] is coming in March 1st.)

I watched Dune (1984) by David Lynch - 55 before my stroke and 5 after my stroke - and itā€™s 4 stars. Villeneuve is 5 stars. Not even close.

1 Like

You watched the Lynch Dune 55 times? Did you tell the doctors that when they were diagnosing the cause of your stroke?

4 Likes

Just call him Muadā€™Dib

2 Likes

The Lynch Dune is one of the most execrable things Iā€™ve ever watched. I canā€™t imagine how someone who hadnā€™t read the book would follow it.

I watched 6,500+ movies. My top 10 movies: Casablanca, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, Itā€™s A Wonderful Life, The Sound of Music, The Godfather, Star Wars, Good Will Hunting, American Beauty, and Groundhog Day. (I love lists!)

1 Like

In 1984 my (now late) friend and i saw Dune in the theater at least 15 times. We saw it several times at the dollar theater across from Deerbrook Mall where we were the only ones in the theater. The visuals were great, most of the movie looked a lot like how i imagined everything (like LOTR) when reading tge book. And of course we watched it a bunch of times on video. Havent seen the new one because i guess i canā€™t seem to find the time. Funny how your tastes change from 18 to 57!

1 Like

Watching the Lynch Dune 55 times seems very much like Groundhog Day

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t that difficult to follow.

Itā€™s a great bad movie.

The heavy use of inner monologues - for which the movie was roundly criticized - made it accessible for those of us who hadnā€™t read the books. My guess is that test audiences were completely lost and so they dubbed on the exposition.

ā€œI am the Shadout Mapes . . . . The housekeeper!ā€

Some of the best movie dialogue ever.

1 Like