General Movie Thread

The Road House remake looks like complete shit.

I enjoy the original, but I refuse to watch anything that might line Conor MacGregor’s pockets.

2 Likes

Yep. It looked bad, and then he showed up.

Biiiiiiiiiiiiig nope.

It’s the movie that was begging to be remade

I’ve always dreamt of playing The Dane.

1 Like

The Holdovers is just a less fun, less interesting remake of Sideways, with 100% less teamster dong.

Just subscribed to Criterion channel. Hadn’t seen ken russell’s “the devils” in a few decades and not only do they have it but CC is featuring a bunch of Russel’s other films too. Also loved watching Ari Aster discuss films that influence/interest him and then being able to watch it. Watched “Songs from the Second floor” yesterday by Roy Andersson–had never heard of Andersson before and im gobsmacked by how powerful it is. Without the recommendation by Aster id likely never had seen it. Lots of great stuff here, wish id checked into it sooner.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Anatomy of a Fall. It’s a police procedural/court room drama that takes place in a French village near Grenoble. It’s 50/50 English and French. I believe it won the Palme D’Or prize at Cannes last year.

3 Likes

I love Criterion so much. Their collection and the way they manage the content on the channel is without peer. You’ll find as a subscriber that they are generous with discount codes that you can stack, so when those 50% off sales come around it’s easy to pick up a lot of great films with deep special features for significant discounts.

2 Likes

Do you know what day it is?

2 Likes

We finished British Movie Month on Wednesday with Lawrence of Arabia, well up to the intermission anyway, and last night started RomCom Month with Sherlock Jr. and It Happened One Night.

Tonight is Groundhog Day. Again.

3 Likes

…which means you were watching the full-length version. Which is correct.

If you’re looking for an off-beat rom-com, perhaps for Feb 29, might I suggest (500) Days of Summer and/or Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I know the latter looks like a comic book adaptation (which it is), but it’s really a rom-com disguised as a comic book movie.

Oh, and Shaun of the Dead is a sizzling hot brom-com for the ages…with zombies.

2 Likes

I remember liking Sidewalks of New York, which has Dennis Farina dishing out some proper dating advice:

1 Like

We just watched it again as part of British movie month.

1 Like

Summer Catch is a sneakily fun baseball rom com.

2 Likes

Good to know. I suspect March will be baseball movie month.

1 Like

I highly recommend (500) Days of Summer.

3 Likes

The ultimate “manic pixie dream girl” movie

1 Like

I lived that movie 30 years ago.

Spoiler

Well, except the part about ending up with Minka Kelly

1 Like

Groundhog Day is #10 for my list of best movies ever. Lawrence of Arsbia, (500) Days of Summer, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Shaun of the Dead, all 5 stars.

1 Like