General Movie Thread

I think we’ve talked about this before, but the movie Bond drinks like he’s in junior high school. Plus they stopped making Kina Lillet 40 years ago.

…and if you want to see an animated historian completely lose his shit over a movie…

2 Likes

So long as it doesn’t involve the movie Cocktail, well, don’t threaten me with a good time.

Dear world:

Nation states weren’t a thing until a few hundred years ago.

None of those fuckers knew or cared one thing about a country.

They just wanted more shit.

5 Likes

Lawrence of Arabia, if you have the time, is always an incredible experience.

5 Likes

It will end the month. I saw it first when I was a child and pretended I was riding camels instead of horses for at least a week. I saw it again in college and was stunned that it was actually better than I thought it was when I was 6. I’ve seen it a few times since, and remember realizing there was a homosexual rape scene that I didn’t recognize in college, or as a 6-year old. It’s the sort of movie that makes watching movies worthwhile. I’m curious what stunning thing I’ll pick up this time.

2 Likes

I watched Bridge on the River Kwai a month or so back. If Lawrence of Arabia is David Lean’s best film, and it is, Bridge on the River Kwai is a solid second best, though I guess some may argue Doctor Zhivago.

2 Likes

That’s basically how the Mongol Empire happened.

“Let’s go get some stuff.”
“Hey that was kind of easy…look there’s more over there!” All the way to Europe.

3 Likes

I watched, Killers of the Flower Moon, it is streaming on AppleTV+. Very good movie. I probably would have even liked it better if I hadn’t read the book and knew the outcome.

I love Bridge on the River Kwai. I’ve actually been to the real bridge, and the Death Railway Museum there. It’s quite sobering.

2 Likes

I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the third time recently and was surprised to see that it had gotten better than the first time it had gotten better than the jawdroppingly excellent film it had been to begin with.

2 Likes

John Williams just got nominated for an Oscar at 91 years old.

Cmon, Oscars. Give him one last statue.

1 Like

Ryan Gosling nominated for playing Ken in Barbie, but not Margot Robbie for playing Barbie in Barbie.

1 Like

I always thought it was an odd choice from Gerwig and Baumbach to make the Barbie movie more about Ken than Barbie.

Barbie is by far the least interesting big budget film I’ve ever seen. I hate the time I spent watching it. I only finished because, well, Margot Robbie. Ishtar is The Godfather by comparison.

Nothing else going on last night, so I switched over to movie channels and settled on “Gorky Park”, which I’m not sure I had ever seen before, but based on the Martin Cruz Smith novel that I definitely read back in the day. Best exchange, while Arkady Renko (William Hurt) is leaving a party with a suspect from a get-together at somebody’s dacha:

Woman: “The KGB have better cars.”
Renko: “Yes, but they don’t always take you where you want to go.”

3 Likes

Great film. Even better book (as is almost always the case).

2 Likes

BTW, I watched “Saltburn”. So you don’t have to. You’re welcome.

Withnail and I, on the Criterion Channel. Glorious.

1 Like

Arkady was one of the great characters of that genre of writing. And I think that line was directly taken from the book.