General Movie Thread

Just watched The Last of Sheila (1973). Oh my goodness, that was good. Kind of a dark comic whodunnit with a really devilish ending. I’m sure many of yall know it well, but I hadn’t heard of it until recently and just got around to watching it.

1 Like

I don’t remember it but that’s a hell of a cast. I’ll watch it soon.

1 Like

Written by Anthony Perkins and Steven Sondheim, the only film writing credit for either

1 Like

BlackBerry was good. They added a bit of extra footage to the theater release and split it into a 3 part series on AMC.

It really is an incredible ensemble. Some of them have larger roles than others, but it’d almost spoil it to say who the standouts are.

If you saw Glass Onion, you’ll immediately notice how heavily Last of Sheila influenced it (Rian Johnson was very open about it being the inspiration). But Last of Sheila goes in a very different and much, much cleverer direction.

Finally got around to watching “The Menu” last night, and what a thoroughly good movie it is.

They slather on the allegory pretty thick, but it’s so well done, darkly funny and brilliantly acted (mostly).

1 Like

Hmmm. I was a strong thumbs down on that one…babette’s feast meets theatre of blood wasnt as fun as id hoped…although i thought “the mess” was a fun bit.

Just rewatched “sexy beast” again. Still fantastic. See “the proposition” if you haven’t

Saw napoleon. Not good. Not Promethus or the counselor bad. Just consistently not good.
Saw last voyage of the demter too. Fun if you like the genre.

1 Like

Sexy Beast is an awesome movie.

2 Likes

I am happy to report that the unfucked 4k version of Return of the Jedi is absolutely gorgeous. They weren’t kidding when they said they had a pristine theatrical print. No noticeable grain whatsoever.

I am sad to report, though, that they also weren’t kidding when they said they had a dodgy print of Empire. It looks absolutely terrible in places and is generally so grainy as to be distracting.

I hope they can get it fixed, but I’m not sure how much they can do. Ironically, Empire is the least fucked with of the three OT movies, and some of those changes made sense - like pasting Ian McDiarmid over the random actress (yes, actress) who played the Emperor. Fleshing out Cloud City wasn’t egregious, but adding a scream to Luke’s sacrificial plunge was just dumb.

Back to ROTJ, seeing Sebastian Shaw’s force ghost at the end almost makes up for the “Yub Nub” song. Almost.

2 Likes

Eat your heart out, Limey:

1 Like

Egregiously dumb. With the scream, maybe Luke was ready to join him and just slipped.

1 Like

Like having Han shoot second. If Han isn’t a cut-throat smuggler who shoots first, then his arc to returning to save Luke during the trench run is flattened to a straight line.

This is a banger.

1 Like

I am validated.

Happy birthday to Jennifer Connelly…from my bunk.

1 Like

Godzilla: a mess, but the monster genre doesn’t require a lot. I’d be ambivalent about its value but Tuesday is $6 nite at a neighborhood cinema where the lounge seats go flat … so it passed.

Best part: entire film is in Japanese with subtitles.
Bizarre part: out-and-out lifting from Hollywood classics fare at so many turns it resembled satire.
Worst part: … can’t have a spoiler, but, again, Hollywood carries the day.

Probably not the first time I’ve said this here, but I’ve had a crush on here since Once Upon a Time in America.

Which Godzilla?

Not this one I hope?

1 Like

Seeing “Capital Center” takes my mind to the surreal classic doc “Heavy Metal Parking Lot”