General Movie Thread

I don’t know if they still do it, but Disney got a lot of shit when they first started having limited windows of sales of their animated classics. People would buy the electronic copy, only to have it disappear when the sales window closed.

Relying on streaming for content that you know you’ll watch repeatedly is a gamble. Buying used disks and then making your own electronic copy is cheap and easy.

1 Like

I don’t have the same vinyl fetish you do (NTTAWWT), so this isn’t a risk for me.

1 Like

Isn’t that what you said about fountain pens? Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.

My victrola collection is gonna pay off.

Me either. I’ve owned more than my share of vinyl over the years but I would never ever go back. I don’t buy any of that ‘warmer sound’ etc etc that people tout, it doesn’t sound any different to me. Especially since they’re essentially a fragile CD–the albums are all cut from digitally recorded/remastered originals, likely even the old ones that were originally recorded on tape. Too much trouble. Plus, I can take my albums and playlists wherever I go.
I think the vinyl thing is mostly based on Boomer and GenX nostalgia (and I say that as a GenXer [like probably 80% of everyone here!]). And man are albums expensive nowadays!

1 Like

Yep. And don’t even mention turntables…or needles.

1 Like

Cartridges and stylii, you heathen.

2 Likes

Records pressed in the 1950s-80s were not digitally recorded. And they are far less fragile than a CD, IMO. Vinyl is much tougher than people think. It does get dirty though, so cleaning it is a must.

As for the sound, you’re dead wrong, at least to my ears. There is a stark difference between a well mastered vinyl record and a download from iTunes. Some people may not care about the difference, or even prefer the digital sound, but they are definitely different.

As for the trouble, I don’t find it any. I enjoy the effort. I have digital music for on the go, and I like the portability of it, but I also like putting on a record. I get that not everyone does. What’s wrong with that?

3 Likes

So…yall seen any good movies lately?

Maybe we could find one about people who collect vinyl.

1 Like

“Technology is cyclical.” - Dennis Duffy.

2 Likes

Scottish vinyl, in particular

Not a thing. But on various music boards you get the hipsters joining up with the socks and sandals brigade that disparage everything that’s not vinyl or reel-to-reel.
The old vinyl was not digitally recorded of course but the source used now to cut the albums is a digital file, although I would assume a FLAC rather than AAC or whatever iTunes uses.

You’re wrong about HH. You could never get the olive oil out of vinyl.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s very popular, Sid. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore vinyl, and they think HH is a righteous dude.

7 Likes

I like vinyl. I had this friend in college. 5‘11“ tall, leggy blonde. She invited me over on my birthday one year. I walk into her apartment and she oozes around the corner wearing a skin tight vinyl catsuit and says to me, “happy birthday, David“. Never saw it again. Don’t know what happened to it. We never talked about it again. But that movie is downloaded to my mental hard drive and I will be able to stream it for the rest of my life.

3 Likes

High Fidelity is a good one. If you’re wanting that Gen X vibe you could watch Pretty In Pink.

1 Like

On the mass marketed ones that’s typically the case, but the new higher end pressings are often from the original master tapes. There are also pressings from the “best source available”, which is most often an analog tape copy of the master tape, but sometimes digital. Not all new pressings are from digital.

1 Like

I’m with you on the hipsters, but it also warms my heart when I see a couple of 15-year old girls in the record shop picking up an original pressing of Led Zeppelin I or a dog eared old copy of a Janis Joplin record. It’s not just old boomers and young hipsters.

“I will now sell five copies of “The 3 EPs” by The Beta Band.”

5 Likes