General Movie Thread

A funny little thing happened here last week. Oppenheimer finally came to theaters in Korea…on Liberation Day. The day Japan surrendered essentially. It was a Tuesday and movies usually come out on Wednesdays here but it was purely coincidence I’m sure.

4 Likes

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is much better than I remember.

There. I said it.

1 Like

I see that “Last Night in Soho” has just hit Netflix. I highly recommend it. It’s Edgar Wright being his full self, so the movie is uncategorizeable, but it’s a visual, aural and mental feast of a movie.

1 Like

Peak Sellers.

https://x.com/michaelwarbur17/status/1698883850556899354

Poor Catherine Schell couldn’t stop herself from breaking, so they just left it in.

1 Like

Because it popped up on my feed…

So good.

3 Likes

No One Will Save You (Hulu) is quite good

Public service announcement: Stop Making Sense is in theaters this week, at least in major metro areas. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure if I should put this in the music thread or here, but since it is a movie….saw the remastered “Stop Making Sense” yesterday and really enjoyed it. I had never seen it before, and it’s quite a time capsule. David Byrne and the whole band in 1983 put on a spectacular (weird) show. See it in the theater while you can.

ETA: Austro beat me by a minute…guess it’s got two votes now.

1 Like

That movie was forty years ago. Forty years prior to the movie was WWII.
Oi!

1 Like

Now you’ve got me thinking about Electric Avenue.

2 Likes

I have always been a fan of Eddy Grant. I really liked the soca albums he released after his Electric Avenue days. It’s too bad that song is the only thing people think of when they hear his name.

3 Likes

Fake news!

Sometimes they think of Caribbean Queen.

Ummmmm…

Gimme Hope Jo’anna.

There ya go!

More than a few American confused Billy Ocean with Eddie Grant in the early 80s, I guess it was different in England

I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone could confuse those two, but then some people probably confuse Black Sabbath and Air Supply, so…

2 Likes

More like confusing AWB with Big Country. They’re both Brits with Eastern Caribbean origins. It’s the same numbskull people who confuse Dermot Mulroney with Dylan McDermott.

Wait…those are two different guys?