General Movie Thread

I know there are plenty of trope sites out there, but I often think of making a list of tropes that specifically targets the ones sci fi shows must follow, like the alternate universe one, the body switching episode, all of that stuff. Unfortunately I only think of them when we’re watching the shows and I can’t be bothered to write it down. I’m sure a quick google will send me down the rabbit hole, but sometimes it’s more fun/interesting to think of them yourself, y’know?

1 Like

I have read that the way it’s shown in GOTG is quite accurate to reality, subject to caveats. You have to exhale in order to avoid your lungs exploding but, otherwise, you simply freeze (quite quickly) rather than suffer any of the other more grisly demises used in movies for effect.

The ability to recover instantly and without residual damage upon thawing is a whole nother matter.

I think it’s actually more a matter of boiling from the inside than freezing—though the stuff that makes it out freezes. But yeah. Exhaling buys you about a minute, otherwise your lungs pop in thirty seconds.

Also there was a rather notable departure from the trope of surviving exposure recently.

1 Like

I did a Google.

Directed by Stanley Kubrick!

Surviving the vaccuum was also a key moment in one of the latter seasons of The Expanse.

1 Like

Was going to mention this but didn’t she inject herself with something before being exposed?

I think so, yes… something like oxygenated blood.

Lance Armstrong enters the chat…

This is sad news.

2 Likes

It is sad and frustrating. As someone who works in the adoption field, these kind of things (not explaining what is happening to all involved) happens way to frequently. When it is exposed, there are rarely consequences.

If this is the case that he was truly not given any proceeds from his story - that is unbeliveable. The Tuohy family has exploited the hell out of that story for their enrichment.
For example - Feb 3, 2020 article on ESPN “Liberty adds Sean “SJ” Tuohy Jr, brother of Michael Oher, to staff.”
He is now the head of the UCF NIL collective. It is easy to raise money when everyone loves to met the kid from the Blind Side.

If true, this is sickening.

1 Like

They misled the guy, the folks who made the movie, and everyone that saw the movie and thought the movie was truthful. They never adopted the guy. That’s fucked up.

If the allegations are true.

Exactly. Either the Tuohys profited off Oher as he alleges, or they didn’t but he’s accusing them to extract some money.

Whichever it is, it’s a sad epilogue to the story.

1 Like

Step 1, which is pretty damn easy to prove, is “did they legally adopt him or not”?

1 Like

I seem to recall even way back when, it was common knowledge that they didn’t legally adopt him. I don’t recall if it was portrayed that way in the film, but it was acknowledged that the film took a lot of creative liberties with the real story. This can’t really be the source of the dispute, can it?

$$$

The film absolutely shows Oher being adopted. It was a moment of high emotion, setting up the line about choosing Ol’ Miss because “that’s where my family goes.”

He knows he wasn’t adopted; he said as much in his 2011 book.

The family was granted a conservatorship.

Whether they did their duty in that role, I suspect, is the real issue.

1 Like