General Movie Thread

I don’t think we can be friends anymore.

1 Like

Watched the Weird Al movie last night. As a fan of his I enjoyed it a lot although I thought the first half was quite a bit funnier than the second half. It was also cool to see who popped up in bit parts–Emo Phillips, Michael McKean, Jack Black, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Conan O’Brien among others.

And as someone who listened to his show back in the day I now want my Dr. Demento movie.

I grew up in a Ray Stevens family, so with virtually zero context for Weird Al I suspect the movie will be a fun watch.

For those eagerly anticipating it like me: Glass Onion (the Knives Out sequel) will be in theaters for a limited run during the week of Thanksgiving before coming to Netflix a month later. I just booked tickets for that Wednesday.

1 Like

I’ve been a longtime Weird Al fan, but for a long time I struggled to imagine exactly what this movie would be, based on the various Internet news that trickled out.

Having seen it now, it is 100% what you should get if you combine the folks at Funny or Die with the folks who made UHF.

1 Like

Nailed it.

Glass Onion: Meh.

That might be too kind.

I never understood the hype around “Knives Out”. Turned it off half way through.

1 Like

I was never at risk of turning it off but I wouldn’t rate it higher than “ok”

1 Like

It’s one of those movies that I started with around 70 minutes left in a flight and never finished. I’m curious, sure, but not all that put out without knowing how it ended.

Happy Birthday Jennifer Connolly.

I’ll be in my bunk.

Maverick confirms she ages well

2 Likes

Jennifer Connolly notwithstanding, that’s a stone cold classic piece of music. I don’t even know what “stone cold” means but this song has to be that. Along with Wishing. A Flock of Seagulls were fantastic, and Paul Reynolds one of the great guitarists of any era.

But that, of course, had nothing to do with your post.

2 Likes

Seagulls became the poster band for 80s ridiculousness, not wholly undeserved given the hairdos, but this has sadly overshadowed how fucking good their stuff was.

3 Likes

After “Black Adam” flopped, they are tearing up the DCEU and starting again…again.

The planned Black Adam, Superman and Wonder Woman movies have all been cancelled and the respective stars told to do one. Also, Batfleck is no more. James Gunn is in charge now, and he’s going for a hard reboot.

I guess America needs a superhero…

1 Like

It is no coincidence between the fact that the only successful DCEU movies had a sense of humor, and the fact that Gunn is the one to take charge.

1 Like

I do wonder if the fast-quipping superhero genre is getting played out. Also, the first DC movie in the Gunn era is going to be about Clark Kent’s youth - because we’ve never seen that before. Eh? Oh.

But look at the first WW movie - their most successful. It wasn’t quippy but it was funny - partially because Chris Pine has charm by the fucking boatloads.

Of course, they followed it up with the worst sequel since Caddyshack 2.

1 Like