Former Bus Rider News

If he is a fan favorite why would trading him make anything better? They are still getting rid of him?
It is rare that front offices are sentimental about any player, much less role players. They are in charge of a business.

The instances of Stephen Piscotty moves because are the exception to the rule, not the rule.

The giants needed catching depth. The traded for Paperski. They then saw a better option on the waiver wire - one that gives them more offensive ability and some positional flexibility. Heart had nothing to do with these moves. Business decisions.

2 Likes

Understand. I have seen “Moneyball”. (A joke.)
Besides, after trading Paperski, for it Giants it was as if they had DFA-ed a player.
Glad Dubon is an Astro, and Paperski is a Red.
Thank you!

I am not understanding what you mean this?

It may be that I am showing that I don’t understand, but I see little difference b/t DFA-ing Dubon (for no return) & DFA-ing a player they received for him.
In effect, the Giants ended up moving Dubon to Houston for nothing in return, same as DFA.
(Based on your earlier response, this was not a concern for them.)

If nothing else, they were able to determine his initial destination which they could not have done with DFA. Ironically, they may have given him an opportunity to play in the postseason.

Dubon was out of options. He does not play catcher, a positon of need for SF. Giants did not have a roster spot for him, so was going to lose him anyway. What the trade with the Astros accomplished was give them a trial with Papierski instead. Beats just flat out getting nothing for Dubon.

2 Likes

Makes sense.
Knew Dubon was out of options, but didn’t understand that the trade was a chance to kick the tires of Papierski to see if he was a fit.
But Mercedes graded 30 as a catcher, tho having a 50 Bat and 45 arm. (Link is for my benefit for possible future reference.) So was he a serious consideration as a catcher? Guess only time will tell.
I miss the moving parts; this helps.
Thanks, jhn

PS: According to this article, the Reds apparently hope Papierski might be another Maldy… (He certainly has a better bat.)

I heard a radio interview ( I believe pregame after the trade?) with Click who said the Giants had asked about Papierski multiple times over the course of several months and thry were finally able to meet needs.

I like the Dubon trade and think he is great for the bench on this team.

2 Likes

Strange that just a week was enough to decide to DFA him.
Poor Giants’ scouting? What’s going on?

I think someone answered this for you. Duman, probably.

Just an idea, but it might help you. It is OK to have a thought and not post it.

1 Like

Perfect, @jnh ! Very helpful! (Missed this earlier.)
TY!

Yes, @Duman and @jnh !
Thanks to both for your help.

Will try, but will also work on completing a thot b/f posting.

Love the game and have questions. Often I can’t ask the right question on internet searches to get what I’m after. That’s where real people beat computers - lots of good answers on OWA.

“Thot” is not a word.

It is if you think faster than you write…

It’s an acronym, in certain circles

1 Like

…including Snuffy’s…

You mean this?

My thots are not your thots…

1 Like

“that ho over there”

1 Like