Ex-Astros News 2022

4 Likes

Joe West was an ass even back then.

4 Likes

That game was on my birthday and was on TV. My parents arrived for a bday lunch at about the time this clip started, and I left them standing in the doorway (startled?) as I opened the door, said “Ryan’s got a no hitter,” and rushed back to the TV. Lucky for me they both were big baseball fans.

I remember being very worried about Dusty’s being the Dodger up with two out in the 9th. Baker was such a good hitter, and he hit the ball hard. Ryan’s 12 one-hitters is as amazing a stat to me as the 7 no hitters. Thanks for posting this.

2 Likes

My roommate at the time decided he was going to go back to Houston for the weekend, visit his brother, and go to that game. He invited me to go, but I decided to stay in Austin and do some work around the house. Oops. He made sure to call me that evening and let me know what I had missed.

That came on the heels of an equally bad decision in’79. It was my birthday in April, and my future wife wanted to take me to a game. Both the Rockets and Astros were playing, so we flipped a coin and went to the Rockets game. Of course, that night Forsch threw his no-hitter. Oops.

Closest I’ve come is the Cole one-hitter in ‘19 (?).

1 Like

You should decline going to Astros games more often.

1 Like

I was 7 yo and remember watching this game on a small black and white TV in the dining room of my parents’ house and was riveted. I’m always amazed that I can now see it in color, but that as a kid, black and white TVs weren’t a big deal.

Thank you so very much for sharing and posting this.

(Put in correct thread)

Jake Marisnick released by the Pirates.

.234/.272/.390 in 31 games this year in case you were wondering. He’s missed considerable time with a wrist injury (out 2 months from mid-May to mid-July) and more recently a sprained big toe (went to IL on July 24). In the nine games in between those 2 injuries he hit .357/.400/.714 with 4 doubles and 2 homers.

2 Likes

The exam discovered he has no spine.

12 Likes

Fiers will determine his next destination based on which country has the lowest age of consent.

4 Likes

Why else do you think he was in Asia?

3 Likes

Looking for Hunter Biden’s laptop? It has info on the evil Astros, they’re part of the Bidens’ plan for total world domination you know.
But underage girls is more likely.

George Springer went to the IL the other day due to that elbow issue. While still productive when healthy since joining the BJs he’s played in just 61% of their games (167 of 271).

Jed Lowrie DFA’d by the A’s ending his 3rd stint with that club. He was hitting just .180/.245/.263.

Getting called up to take his spot on the roster is OF Cal Stevenson. Stevenson was with the Astros too. For about 6 months anyway. Came from the Blue Jays (along with Joe Biagini and Aaron Sanchez) for Derek Fisher. Later flipped to the Rays for Austin Pruitt who just last month sent him to A’s in the Christian Bethancourt trade.

Al Avila fired by the Tigers.

When a new GM comes in does he pull the plug on AJ Hinch after two seasons?

Looks like it’ll be a short stay for now, but Chuckie Robinson has made the bigs. Together with Papierski that’s two system alums behind the plate for the Reds.

For an org not known for developing catchers there sure are a lot of alums around the league these days. That makes a total of five now–includes Stassi, Stubbs and Heineman.

Stassi is certainly an alumnus, but hard to claim Astro credit for him. The other four, though, are still rather impressive.

Stassi played in parts of 7 different seasons for the Astros and his 2018 campaign was actually pretty good hitting wise.

1 Like