Ex-Astros News 2021

Ex Astros assistant GM David Stearns adds the former Astro who apparently didn’t play in 2018-2020 (or at least nowhere that shows up on B-Ref) before spending 46 games in the Mexican League last summer. The now 30 year old posted a 1.196 OPS there but as another former Astros exec (Kevin Goldstein) noted half his games were played in sky high Mexico City.

Sky high?

1 Like

I think there is a grammatical error in that. It should be:

… the adverbial phrase should not be included within the prepositional phrase.

3 Likes

Stearns continued his ex Astro shopping spree by signing Tyler White to a minor league deal. White posted a .424 OBP at AAA Buffalo (Blue Jays) this past year.

Where are Brett Wallace and AJ Reed?

1 Like

Lifetime MLB earnings: $96MM

Yikes.

I guess my primary reaction is that I just can’t believe anyone still uses checks.

2 Likes

I do. Rarely but i do. Mainly trying to get rid of them.

Remind me not to get in line behind you at the grocery store.

Ok but that is not when i use a check.

I make political contributions with checks so I’ll stay off the email list.

1 Like

2017 World Series Champion Cam Maybin retiring:

Even though he was a late season acquisition, he was one of my favorites on that team.

4 Likes

Many people are unaware that his grandfather was a coach for the Astros in the late 70s and maybe into the 80s.

I met him when I was 8

Deacon Jones.

3 Likes

In addition to Jones:

Maybin’s third cousin, John Avery, is a former first-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins and played two years in the NFL and seven in the CFL. Another cousin, Aaron Maybin, is also a former first-rounder, a linebacker who played for the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets, as well as the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.
Maybin’s cousin, Marques Maybin, was a star basketball player at the University of Louisville, and Marques’ son, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, is currently a linebacker for the Detroit Lions.
Maybin’s first cousins on his mother’s side are products of the NBA and WNBA – Rashad McCants, a shooting guard who played for the Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings, and Rashanda McCants, a guard/forward who played for the Minnesota Lynx and Tulsa Shock during her WNBA career.

2 Likes

Wow, no pressure in that family!
That’s a lot of talent.

I distincly remember one crucial game, late in the season, he pretty much won single-handedly, I think a late home run sealed it. He was a terrific addition to that team.

1 Like

I did not know that. I watch every game and never heard it mentioned.