Ex-Astros News 2021

Verlander’s first start. Maybin’s HR got Verlander the W.

ETA: scooped by mere seconds

He won (I think) two Seattle games on the road with homers, and one was in the 9th. A huge play (imo) I know I commented on at the time was his leadoff single and immediate SB in the 11th in Game Two in LA. His being on second with no outs in a tie game got Springer thinking RF, and the rest is history.

Yep. Back to back games, no less.

1 Like

That is my memory also.

He also got everyone free tacos for stealing a base in the world series.

8 Likes

@gleach finally pokes his head in and it’s about people saving 99 cents on a taco?

4 Likes

Btw, I think “we don’t win the WS without that guy” applies to every player on the team with the possible exception of Giles

Might not have been in the WS without Giles.

2 Likes

And Maybe A.J. Reed. They probably still win the World Series without Reed’s OPS of 0.00.

He keeps his eye on the ball.

Good grief, I completely forgot him. 0-6 in 2017.

The Astros had high hopes for him in 2016, but the hole in his bat was too big. They signed Yuli mid-2016, and never looked back.

Oh, man. So did I. Put him in the box where our failed uber-prospects are.

Looks like everyone’s favorite pitcher has hired someone to run his social media….

He probably hired a 15 year old.

I was amazed that every other response wasn’t “@mindymccready

2 Likes

As I know I’ve mentioned before, Cameron Maybin’s wife Courtney is a regular customer of mine. He makes his home (when he’s in town) in a nice gated community that backs up to my shop. She told me a couple months ago that he was probably retiring. She said it’s going to be weird getting used to him being around. But she also said that ESPN or someone had been grooming him for a commentator slot.

I’m hoping I’ll finally get to see him again.

7 Likes

Some nice Wagner nostalgia from Pitching ninja:

Wagner was quite a story. First, he switched to being LH after breaking his right arm twice in a short period of time. Then throwing a million miles an hour despite being diminutive and throwing with a short arm delivery. He had better than an outstanding career, and I hope he goes into the HOF.

4 Likes

Here’s some Mike Scott love as well: