Electric Vehicles

My boss is not totally insane, but he has engaged in what George Bluth might call some “light” doomsday prepping. He’s talked romantically about how if/when society truly breaks down he’s grabbing his guns, climbing in his 4x4 Silverado, and heading for the Rockies. I’m like, dude? You won’t get to the Rockies on anything less than three tanks of gas. You think you’re going to find any gas on the way there, or that your credit cards will work, or that someone will take your now worthless cash? What are you going to do when you get there, freeze/starve to death a little slower than the rest of us? I don’t get it.

“The Stand” taught me that the elements crucial to doomsday travel are:

1. Being able to ride a motorcycle
  2. Being able to siphon gas
  3. Knowing when to abandon one vehicle and move to the next

Rule #2: Double-Tap

1 Like

Hot take:

They can’t control the panel gaps because stainless steel will recover partially to its original shape even after being pressed. The front doesn’t wraparound to the side; it comes to an abrupt join at the corners where these misaligned panels present hard straight edges to the world.

From the clips I’ve seen, the visibility is hilariously bad.

Isn’t that basically the plot to Red Dawn?

I bet he has a stash of gold for this exact eventuality, missing the point about the value of things in a post-apocalyptic world by a number of lightyears.

I forget whether Lea Thompson or Jennifer Gray was the one who went full-on feral.

Does it matter?

Elon has a sad.

God that’s sad

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s even the richest man in the world anymore.

The CyberTruck acts like a sledgehammer in a wreck, because it has no crumple zones.

A 35mph frontal impact transfers enough energy through the vehicle to snap the rear axle. Good luck to the people sitting in between.

And, while the vehicle structure may be the only thing that survives such an impact, the insurance company is still going to total it because of the likely need to wait 2 years to replace every single body panel that’s now out of whack.

I could watch these two talk about shit forever.

Good range test on my e-bike today. A 20-mile round trip used up 30% of the battery.

I’ve range tested my electric chainsaw before, you can cut firewood until you don’t want to cut any more firewood (a pickup load or so) and use up 75% of the battery

3 Likes

I need a report on the electric (battery) mowers/trimmers.

No idea about mowers, but I have a Stihl saw and trimmer and absolutely love them.

1 Like

I bought a nine-year-old battery powered mower from my neighbor for 50 bucks for my place here in Vermont. It has a tiny little wooded section of yard. The battery on the thing lasts about half of what I need. I suspect new battery powered mowers will push their way through just about anything these days. I see yard maintenance crews out on battery powered zero turn industrial mowers all the time these days.

Remember when you would have a battery power drill, but turn to an electric drill for any real work you needed to do? And now you don’t even think twice about just using battery power drills? I suspect battery mowers and trimmers are that way now as well.

2 Likes

Electric leaf blowers are great.

1 Like

All of my yard equipment is battery powered, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Of course, our lot is the usual suburban 55’x120’(?) type lot with more landscaping than grass. i go through more trimmer batteries than mower.
Ultimately we’re aiming for a mostly grass free, bee and butterfly friendly native plant only yardscape; we’re about halfway there, with big plans for next spring.

2 Likes