Electric Vehicles

This is interesting, and would be a cat amongst the pigeons if GM can put this out for the projected $30,000 price.

Equinox? They should’ve called it a Camaro.

2 Likes

The new BBB Lite deal that Manchin (currently) says he supports, removes the 200,000 vehicle cap on the $7500 federal EV subsidy, which means it would apply to Tesla and GM who are both currently maxed out (Ford would’ve hit the threshold quickly too).

Further, it’s proposed now to allow it as a point of sale credit, so it’ll be a line item deduction on your sales invoice, presumably reducing financing costs etc. Nice!

Can’t read the article (paywall), but the headline and quote are so true.

I look at the competition, and none have the space, performance, charging network and price certainty of the Model 3/Y. And then Musk tweets something…

Fun Fact: if/when the new tax incentives kick in, the LR AWD Model Y will be almost the same net price as the LR AWD Model 3.

The 3 in that spec is priced above the $55,000 ceiling for sedans, while the Y is way under the $80,000 ceiling for SUVs. I’m not sure that Tesla will care, though, as it seems to be all-in on boosting Model Y production all over the world.

None of this is new if you’ve been following the slimy fucker but nonetheless it is one hell of a paragraph…

Before it was reported Musk had an affair with Sergey Brin’s wife, which he’s denied; before his slipshod deal, then no-deal, to acquire Twitter Inc.; before the revelation he fathered twins with an executive at his brain-interface startup Neuralink; before SpaceX fired employees who called him “a frequent source of distraction and embarrassment”; before his daughter changed her name and legal gender after his history of mocking pronouns; before an article said SpaceX paid an employee $250,000 to settle a claim he sexually harassed her, allegations he’s called untrue; Musk’s behavior was putting off prospective customers and perturbing some Tesla owners.

1 Like

Maybe not. As I’m learning more about the incentives, they’re not very clean or clear. Firstly, they’re means tested, so that the incentive evaporates at $150k single / $300k family. The used car incentive salary cap is lower. This has Manchin’s coal-dust prints all over it, and it’s stupid.

Then there’s the requirement for US assembly, but there’s also a requirement for a certain percentage of parts sourced from the US or from countries with free trade agreements with the US. So the only Model 3 that qualifies on price, likely is excluded because either it wasn’t built here or its LFP batteries were sourced form China.

Both of these will cause confusion. The means testing is a little first world problemy, in that if you find you went over the income limit and lost your incentive, good for you. But the US parts sourcing requirement is going to be very hard for most manufacturers, not just Tesla, to qualify for. The battery pack is the most expensive component of an EV, and so even Ford and GM may fall the wrong side of the line.

Lastly, the US assembly requirement is going to blow up the business plans of newer companies like Fisker, who are making affordable EVs but won’t qualify the incentive.

The Kia EV6 GT is nuts.

That is impressive.

As for the audi, wtf was going on with the launch control? Embarrassingly long delay.

Audis have always been slow off the line. Must be something in the Quattro system. Would be interesting to see the EV6 against a BMW M3 or something else that doesn’t take a beat when you press go.

Yep.

Still either car would knock my fillings to the back of my throat with that acceleration.

1 Like

The non-GT EV6 are increasingly finding themselves used as taxis in Seoul and they’re a joy to ride in.

1 Like

With a driver, or do you just let Buddha take the wheel?

So much finding out these days.

A bald man who was very upset with the new president was my last driver but I can’t comment on his enlightenment status.

1 Like

Real world test of the Genesis GV60 800V charging infrastructure that can charge at up to 350kW. It did 10-80% in 19 minutes. Same system here as in the Ionic 5 and EV6.

Meanwhile, BMW just released its first SUV on a purpose built EV platform. It costs $80,000 - $100,000, but has a maximum charge rate of 195kW and an estimated 10-80% charge time of 45 minutes.

WTF is wrong with these people? For that kind of money it should have the very best systems.

So you’re saying maybe I shouldn’t stop working with Hyundai and LG?

1 Like

Don’t go to work for Toyota or Subaru.

In other EV news, the EV tax credit survived the Senate’s wrangling over the weekend and is in the final “Inflation Reduction Act” bill. Ford and GM lobbied to have batteries exempted from the US-sourced materials qualifier - as no US-made EVs save a few Tesla models would’ve been able to pass this test, everyone else having batteries sourced from China - but I do not know if this language was amended.

Bottom line, though, if you want to buy an import brand of EV or a US-made EV that won’t qualify under the new rules, do it before the end of the year when the current tax credit runs out, as all such vehicles will be excluded from the tax credits from 1/1/23. Conversely, if you want to buy a qualifying, US-made EV (and the qualification element is still hazy), then wait until January - or don’t order it until you know it won’t be delivered until after 1/1/23.

ETA: It looks like the rules about batteries were not changed, so your best bet to get the credit is to buy your EV in 2022 or buy a Model Y after 1/1/23. Failing that, you’ll have to wait until US battery manufacturing is ramped up for anyone else’s EVs to qualify.

That’s easy. Japanese car companies are almost non-existent here.

1 Like