Dusty Back Next Season?

Ok. Poor choice of phrasing. I was just thinking that he went into the NLCS with a somewhat extended pitching staff because of the WC and NLDS. However, as HH points out, that was part of a larger example of his mismanagement.

ps - and I definitely wasn’t trying to imply that HH was being unfair, but now see how it sounds, so apologies.

Yeah, actually six if you count the day before the DS. 11 games and six days off, and you manage to get two games from your ace. Just incredible mismanagement.

1 Like

Oh, I know it came out wrong, and you meant no criticism of Matt, but “just to be fair” is a phrase which says to me “Here come the excuses.”

1 Like

To be fair though, people say it all the time.

2 Likes

I rest my case.

To be fair, they should have won their division then.

2 Likes

That’s right.

I don’t know why everyone out there is wringing their hands over a wildcard team.

2 Likes

Asked and answered.

I read that post, but for some reason didn’t trip to the obvious, that Dusty had re-signed for a year. Here’s the Chronicle coverage. Houston Astros: Dusty Baker returning as manager for 2022

Yeah, the old dude continues to pad what will almost certainly be a HOF resume…

From that Chron article linked to in the other thread…

The 73-year-old skipper said Monday he hopes to manage the team next season. “Yeah, I’d like to come back,” Baker said. “I’d like to win (the World Series) this year and next year, too. I’ve always said if I win one, I win two, so you have to win one first in order to win two.”

Widely respected manager who wants to come back after managing his team to what will likely be a 100-win season. Will he be back? Yeah, he’ll be back.

I think that its a no brainer if the team wins the World Series.

But I would expect Joe Espada to finally get a manager job somewhere else.

Also expect Click to stay if they win it all - no reason to make changes.

If they don’t win, though, it will be one or the other.

No it won’t.

3 Likes

Former players telling stories about Dusty. Definitely worth the read if you’re a subscriber…

Yep, read that a couple of days ago. So many good, classic, lines in it.

I know this thread is about Dusty, but I’m more concerned about James Click.

I think he’s done a phenomenal job, but I haven’t found much news about his future with the Astros beyond this article .

Does anyone have a feel for whether or not he will be extended?

I don’t think you read this thread

Rosenthal is at it again. This all still seems insane to me.