Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2022

Yep, that’s him.

Replenishing the scouting department is one of the better aspects of Click’s tenure and it also speaks well of Crane to see the wisdom of this. Hopefully, they hire even more.

Formerly the Manager of International Scouting for the Astros before leaving to join Elias in Baltimore several years ago…

WBC is next March but some of the qualifiers will kick off this year…

1 Like
1 Like

I’m really surprised at Rosenthal for this. He’s got so many qualifiers in there he really sounds as if he’s just throwing shit on the wall…

I don’t even know where to start with this. But it sounds like he’s talking out of his ass.

2 Likes

He uses the Astros as click-bait. Just using something to get people interested.

2 Likes

You can hear it here. The question is asked around the 17:45 mark; he doesn’t get to Houston until 20:45:

The tweets kind of overplay the Houston part of it. He’s also very clearly spitballing here; it sounds like he’s heard some tip that Crane and Click aren’t BFFs, and extrapolated from there. And, as the tweet above notes, he qualifies all of this a million times before, during and after his answer.

Rosenthal was one of the reasons I let my Athletic subscription expire.

2 Likes

So is Click’s contract up after this season?

When he was hired in early 2020 the reports were that he signed a three-year deal.

1 Like

I know this probably needn’t be said, but failing to extend Click would appear to be a dumb move, and Crane doesn’t seem to do those very often.

5 Likes

Crane speaks:

That’s not exactly a statement to tamp down speculation

2 Likes

The Chronicle goes a little more in-depth on all this – not really much new info, but some decent context: Houston Astros: An uncertain future for GM James Click

I find this disturbing. Of course, I don’t know what I don’t know.

2 Likes

Dusty is popular with the players. He has done fairly well, but we All question him at times. No love for or against him. Click I like, period. He has dealt with the teams situation admirably, IMHO. I expect him to probably be here.

Okay it’s Nightengale so read at your own risk but he says Crane has never “warmed up” to Click and has “long questioned” whether he’s the right fit. Further states that if a move is made Crane will try and hire current Orioles AGM Sig Mejdal. I would note here that Mejdal is closely tied to Jeff Luhnow going back to their days with the Cardinals and Sig was still with the Astros in 2017 (Mike Elias hired him away in Nov. 2018).

And this from a recent interview where Sig gives his reason for leaving Houston…

With the Astros, they were as good a team as there was in baseball and their player development system was as strong as any. But I noticed that I wasn’t as inspired as I was with the Astros when they were losing 100 games. I didn’t imagine that getting better as time went on. I think I realized something about myself; I enjoy the struggle of creating something new in an organization and less so the maintenance of the status quo.

This is all so very very fucking stupid.

Little if any original reporting by the Chron but certainly willing to milk the story…