College Basketball '22-'23

One of the commentators said Mitchell has a 42 inch vert. The other guy said, it was at least that.

That was one of the best performances Iā€™ve seen from Texas Basketball in a long time. They played with a lot of energy, were great defensively, and were assertive on offense (taking more threes and playing with a faster tempo on offense.) Shooting well was an added bonus. I thought they might beat Gonzaga in a close game. I never expected them to blow them out like they did.

Also, the crowd was great (from what I could tell on TV). The Moody Center is going to give the team a real home court advantage.

It was stupid loud in the Moody. They are treating the gameday atmosphere like an NBA game, so the PA is cranked up to 11 and all of the music played is loud as hell.

My ears and still slightly ringing and Iā€™m super hoarse, but it was a damn fun gameday experience and an even better game.

3 Likes

To add: the music is loud, for sure, and the crowd is loud also pretty much continually. This was a big game, and no doubt there will not be as much electricity for a lesser opponent, but I have been to all three games, and the crowd has been great each game.

Students at UT have never supported basketball or baseball in large numbers in all the years I have been a fan, but Beard has worked overtime to get students to the games and to be loud and enthusiastic. There is a student section with court side seats in addition to student sections at each end. Students have turned out in large numbers each game, and UT basketball is a hot ticket for them. They are nonstop loud.

2 Likes

Smaller venue, lower ceiling, and angled panels to cover the mezzanine and trap the sound. Iā€™m sure itā€™s loud as hell in there. The Erwin Center was cavernous.

1 Like

A tad too early for that.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope they donā€™t read it (fat chance of that, I realize). They should be reminded of the UT team (2009-10?) that took down UNC early in the year and then never played that well again.

It is a totally meaningless ranking at any point of the season. Just something to look at.

1 Like

Games to watch today if youā€™re tired of pro football:

Illinois-Virginia = 2 PM
Baylor-UCLA = 4:30 PM
Kentucky-Gonzaga = 6:30 PM
Houston-Oregon = 8:30 PM

2 Likes

The University of Houston has a pretty good basketball team.

3 Likes

Mike Sā€™ and my late father was a fiercely proud University of Texas at Austin alumnus who bled Burnt Orange and White, but then got his second B.A. from UH after being drafted into the U.S. Army and doing his service (that the G.I. bill came in handy).

He also loved being a UH grad/his time in Houston in the mid-ā€˜60s when The Dome was built and ā€œutilizingā€ his press pass to go see the Houston Astros baseball club.

Iā€™ll always have a special place for Shasta and the Coogs because of my old man.

If Oregonā€™s court isnā€™t the ugliest basketball court in the country it is at least top five.

3 Likes

It is the top five. The next worst (Stanford? Or maybe they fixed it?) starts at #6.

I canā€™t picture the Stanford court in my mind but it canā€™t be worse than the Aggiesā€™ floor.

Once upon a time it had a very large, very distracting tree on it. But the Oregon court is in its own category.

And just to clear up a few things:

1. UH colors are red and white. There is no blue, no black, no anything else. We ā€œfight, fight, fight for red and whiteā€.

2. Shasta is female. She has always been female. It drives me nuts that they have this male anthropomorphic mascot named ā€œShastaā€. I donā€™t mind the male mascot, but give him a masculine name.

While that is all true, there is a female ā€œShastaā€ called Sasha. Iā€™ll let you take it up with President Khator.

Seeā€¦itā€™s just wrong.

I used to walk by the ā€œcougar denā€ from my parking lot to the office.