College Baseball 2023

Good book, Killer Angels.

For the first time in program history, UTSA is ranked. #24 in Baseball America.

1 Like

Texas A&M-Texarkana baseball player shot by apparent stray bullet during home game (yahoo.com)

This is unsettling. It was a stray bullet, but not good. We had a game in high school stopped because someone was taking shots at the outfielders. It was at a park surrounded by a neighborhood, and someone was in one of the houses shooting at the players with a pellet gun. The leftfielder of one team got hit in the leg.

A little nepotism here…as many of you know, my brother-in-law is head coach at UTSA. My niece is the bat girl, and the local TV station did a piece on her the other day.

8 Likes

Last weekend, Auburn to a series from then #2 South Carolina on the road. This weekend, they took 2 of 3 from #1 LSU at home. The cherry on top was run ruling LSU in the series clinching game. They are getting hot as we head to tourney time.

Saturday night, they did the first ever eagle flight at a baseball game. I am very biased but this is such a cool tradition. https://twitter.com/jeff_shearer/status/1655014720141946880

2 Likes

Auburn will have a low number next to their name come Tournament time.

That was fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.

That’s 1000 shades of awesome!

The Big XII Tournament starts today in Arlington. It’s been kind of a down year for the Big XII but UT and OSU surged enough at the end of the season to join W. Virginia in the D1 Top 25 with OSU at 18, UT at 20 and W.V. at #21. Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU, all usually ranked in recent years, have had less than stellar seasons so far.

Match-ups today (CDST):
TCU vs Kansas State 9:00 AM
Texas vs Kansas 12:30 PM
OSU vs Oklahoma 4:00 PM
W. Va. vs Texas Tech 7:30 PM

1 Like

TCU leads Kansas State 16-2 after 4 innings.

Yikes!

PAC 12 baseball also suffering from a bit of a down year with only two teams in the D1 Top 25: Stanford at #3 and OSU (Oregon State) at #10. Arizona, tempe normal, Oregon, UCLA and USC haven’t been up to snuff this year with fairly modest seasons by their standards.

UofA takes on OSU later today. BatCats need to win in order to advance to the tournament quarterfinals, and may very well need to win the PAC 12 tournament to make the NCAA. RPI is arguably strong enough for an at large berth, but they have a losing a record in conference play which doesn’t bode well.

1 Like

SEC got underway yesterday. Round 1 is single elimination:

South Carolina eliminated UGA 9-0
Texas A&M upset UT Knoxville 3-0
Alabama eliminated Kentucky 4-0
Auburn beat Mizzu 10-4

Today’s Games (rest of the tourney is now double elimination)
South Car v LSU (currently LSU up 6-3 in bottom 6)
Tex A&M v Ark
Ala v FLA
Auburn v. Vandy

One bright spot on my alma mater’s underwhelming season has been the frequent use of the 1986 NCAA Division 1 National Championship throwback unis.
I still remember your telling me of Brian Jefferies’ radio call when Dave Shermet went yard when the BatCats made their run in ‘86.
That was a helluva UA squad.

BEAR DOWN.

TCU run rules K. State 16-3 in seven innings.

TCU will play the winner of the Kansas vs Texas game and K. State will play the loser.

Kansas and Texas are scoreless after two innings.

After three innings, it’s 2-1 Kansas.

Kansas defeats Texas 6-3 in a #8 over #1 upset.

TCU will play Kansas tomorrow and Texas and K. State will play an elimination game.

In a wild one, BatCats walk off OSU 13-12 and advance to the PAC 12 semifinals. They scored six runs in the bottom of the 6th inning to go up 12-8, then gave up four runs in the top of 8th inning, which is a perfect encapsulation of their season so far - great hitting, absolutely shit pitching.

Still feels like they need to win the tournament in order to go to the NCAA’s.

South Car & A&M Meet in an elimination game in the morning
LSU & ARK meet in the winner’s bracket tomorrow - Winner moves to the semis where the tourney becomes single elimination again.

Oklahoma leads Oklahoma State 7-3 after three innings.

Now 7-4 OU after five innings.