College Baseball 2023

Insane moment in last night’s Baylor-SHSU game.

Top 9th, BU leading by 1, SHSU gets runners on first and second with nobody out.

Next batter hits one off the top of the batter’s eye in CF – maybe a foot from going out. The runner on 2nd tags, then takes off when he sees the ball land – but gets thrown out at the plate. Then the runner from 1st – who had basically walked to second and stopped – tries too late to take third, and gets cut down there – double play. Oh, and the batter? He just stayed at first.

So instead of what should have been at worst a tie game, with runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, becomes two outs, runner on first. Next batter flies out on the first pitch, and that’s the game.

(You can see it at the 3:50:00 mark here: Baylor Baseball vs. Sam Houston State | Baylor Baseball vs. Sam Houston State | By Baylor Baseball | Facebook)

Holy shit, that guy going from 2nd to 3rd deserves to be beaten with a hose for that decision.

Jesus.

That was ugly. I was fully expecting the batter to get thrown out at 2B.

Sorry it’s not college, or baseball, but this is pretty awesome. It’s some Bugs Bunny vs Elmer Fudd stuff

3 Likes

Texas didn’t have a completely bad weekend - the baseball team swept #14 Texas Tech, including walkoffs on Saturday and Sunday

It was a great start to B12 play; now they need some success on the road. Aggies tomorrow at their place.

Whenever the LHN inevitably goes away, I’m very much going to miss easy access to Longhorn baseball games.

1 Like

If you have access to SEC network, you should have access to SEC+ - they carry just about all baseball games. Sometimes with home team radio play by play and limited camera angles but the games are available.

1 Like

I do, and thanks. This is very good to know. I’ve just never had a reason to watch the SEC network before.

This will all take some getting used to.

Am I supposed to convert my wardrobe to seersucker?

3 Likes

If you ever need a hat to accessorize the suit, I’m sure HH has one he can loan you in trade, for the low, low price of 2 mint juleps and 10 minutes of you fanning him as he sits on the porch.

1 Like

I may need voice lessons from Daniel Craig

The SEC is a strange hot land of courtly manners and sudden violence, elegance and anger.

4 Likes

No, but bow ties are encouraged.

1 Like

Daniel Craig, Foghorn Leghorn…whatever works.

“The SEC is a strange hot land of courtly manners and sudden violence, elegance and anger.”

That’s pretty damn poetic.

Or the opening line of a Tom Wolfe novel.

Noooo! You were supposed to go to Coxes and get a seersucker suit.

It’s from The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, though it could well have been Tom Wolfe. But not Thomas Wolfe, who was a true Southern literary gentleman.

Lloyd Lochridge was one of our named partners, and he was a courtly Southern gentleman who died at 103, I think. He came to the office every day until the final few months of his life. He often wore a seersucker suit he said he bought from Brooks Brothers during or right after WWII.

3 Likes

Seersucker is a fantastic summer fabric from which to have your suit or any other garment made. It’s cool, light, breathable, washable, and does not wrinkle. It’s perfect for hot weather.

2 Likes