College Baseball 2023

Glad to see this…

4 Likes

That’s great. I know baseball and softball have undersized paid coaching staff, I assume other sports do as well.

I like the implicit assumption that there are funds available to pay these people. Big programs, sure, they can probably get the budget increase, especially after the first school does it (“hey look, Big U did it, and if we’re going to keep up we have to as well”). But smaller programs may not be so fortunate.

Yeah - I was talking the other day to a friend who works in D1 athletics, and he was saying that if this bill passed, it would probably cost his university (once you factor in salaries, benefits, etc.) about $1 million a year extra. That’s a big budget jump for most schools.

Who cares? Raise tuition.

TCU is stomping K State. Go figure.

Utterly shocking that in the preseason BA rankings just released the SEC is #1, #2 (Vols), #3 (Gators), #6 (Dores). #7 (Aggies), #10 (Ole Miss), #11 (Hogs) and #22 (Auburn). 8 clubs overall and 7 of the top 11.

Big 12: TCU (#14), OSU (#15), Tech (#23)

ACC: Louisville (#5), Miami (#8), Wake Forest (#9), Virginia Tech (#13), UNC (#17), Virginia (#19), NC State (#25)

PAC 12: Stanford (#4), UCLA (#12), Oregon St (#18), Oregon (#20)

Others: Big Ten (1), SBC (1), AAC (1)

D1 has a similar list with Oklahoma State a little higher at #9. It seems light on Big XII based on recent years. I would normally expect Texas and Baylor to be in the mix. Pre-season rankings don’t mean much, so we could see a lot of change before conference play begins.

MMPUS is hosting three pre-season tournaments this year.

My understanding of these is that they’ve moved Texas out due to all their turnover this season.

FWIW, that appears to be a similar fate for Arizona. Kendall Rogers posting something on Twitter saying they’re the #26 team for D1 and could’ve just easily been in the preseason Top 25.

I will say that I’m really looking forward to the inevitable meltdown by LSU fans when yet another Jay Johnson team shits away games they should’ve won because of mediocre pitching and defense.

Can’t make a roux with out some melting down.

For anyone Jonesing for baseball, the Texas alumni game is on LHN now.

Big XII Baseball is under way!

It’s all non-conference of course, and here are some scores from yesterday and today:

Yesterday Oklahoma State beat Missouri 5-3
Kansas beat Valparaiso 5-1
Texas Tech beat Gonzaga 8-4
Oklahoma beat California Baptist 5-2
Baylor beat Central Michigan 6-5
TCU beat Vanderbilt 11-4
Georgia Southern beat West Virginia 4-3
Kansas State beat Stephen F. Austin 7-6
Arkansas beat Texas 3-2

So far today Vanderbilt beat Oklahoma State 11-9
Georgia Southern beat West Virginia 6-2
Texas Tech beat Gonzaga 10-3
California Baptist beat Oklahoma 5-2
Central Michigan beat Baylor 20-5
Valparaiso beat Kansas 11-3
Kansas State beat SFA 8-4
Missouri leads Texas 5-3 in the top of the 7th
TCU and Arkansas will play this evening.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/26/houston-outfielder-drew-bianco-epic-catch-video

Need the Sportscenter theme.

2 Likes

Wow

1 Like

Holy shit, what an aboslutely horrific crew:

On Saturday, Marmol went to home plate for the exchange of lineup cards, and according to Marmol, Bucknor would not shake his hand. The other umpires – Ron Kulpa, Angel Hernandez and Carlos Torres – did shake Marmol’s hand. According to Marmol, others apologized for Bucknor’s refusal.

Fuck the MLB and whoever is assigning crews, that’s just awful.

2 Likes

The Shriner’s Classic begins at The Station today. Texas Tech will play Rice at 11:00 CST and Texas A&M will play Louisville later and #10 TCU will play Michigan. You can watch the games on a video link at the Astros’ web site.

Rice is trying to return to elite status TCU is ranked #10 and A&M is ranked #15 by D1. Tech has been ranked #24 by D1 all year spite of a 10-0 record, so the improved level of competition will be interesting to see.

Rice has pitched well and played stellar defense so far. The Owls have a 2-0 lead through 6 innings.

College baseball has a pitch clock, but regular bases and no restrictions on defensive placement. Now 3-2 Rice over Tech after 7 innings.