College Baseball 2023

Texas Tech loses to Florida 7-1.

I have no idea where Tadlock will find enough pitching to beat these guys again. If Tech is to have a chance tomorrow, the offense will need to show up in a big way. Wreck 'em in any case!

After the Sunday games, we have only two of the eight Super-Regionals settled: Oral Roberts will play at Oregon and Wake Forest will host Alabama.

Elsewhere:
Texas Tech vs Florida. The winner will face South Carolina.
Coastal Carolina vs Duke. The winner will face Virginia.
Texas A&M vs Stanford. The winner will face Texas.
LSU and Oregon State will play as many as two games today to determine who will play the winner of the Kentucky vs Indiana game.
Penn vs Southern Mississippi. The winner will play Tennessee.
Arkansas and TCU will play one or two games today to determine who will play Indiana State.

1 Like

So if A&M wins, who gets to host a super regional between them and UT?

With Miami the 9 seed and Stanford the 8, I would expect that would put it in favor of Texas. I would think the 9 seed would have the higher ranked 2 in their region than the 8.

They used to not care about that, it went to the team with the best bid.

Based on what I’ve read on Texas sites, the two teams would be equal on the tiebreaker criteria as they are both 2 seeds. Then it is basically up to the NCAA to decide, presumably by reviewing bids submitted by the two schools, bids that were submitted a while back.

ETA: I don’t think they distinguish between 2 seeds per the logic of Duman’s post as I don’t think they rank teams that carefully after the top 16.

That’s my understanding as well - that the strength of the bids is the deciding factor not the ranking of the teams themselves.

ETA - still pissed about the UofA’s performance. At least, the Horns are still alive and fighting. Hook 'em.

A solo HR in the bottom of the third is the difference so far. Florida leads Tech 1-0 after three innings.

Florida continues to hit HRs with some regularity. Now 6-0 after 5.5.

I expected the pitching and power from Florida; I did not know about their stellar defense. It seems they make every routine play and a Blue Star at every opportunity.

What does “strength of the bids” entail?

Red Raiders have adopted a new offensive approach: close eyes and swing hard. The results have been consistent with previous approaches.

$$$

“Austin, your bid simply says ‘threeve” and ‘$Texas’”

1 Like

I believe things like stadium facilities, particularly capacity, press, and parking. Also hotels, restaurants , V.I.P. facilities, and the like.

1 Like

It is money.

The schools pay the NCAA to host?

They give them a cut of the revenue.

1 Like

This might be paywalled.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/money-talks-why-cougars-forced-to-travel-for-5526445.php

From 2014. Both UH and UT were 2 seeds and advanced to the Supers to play eachother.

1 Like

Florida ends the Red Raiders’ season 6-0. There was hope after Tech’s win over the Gators in game 2, but beating Florida two out of three in Gainesville was always going to be difficult and Florida proved to be clearly the superior team over these last two games.

The Gators will host the S.C. Gamecocks in the Super Regional.

Not surprised that’s how it works, I’d just never thought about it before.

Let’s go Horned Frogs