Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2023

If anyone tried to work with me on any number of issues, they would report I was clueless about them too. Some of you are experts about every topic that arises, but I am not. That was true of me in the law firm as well. I was expert on a few things and clueless about the rest.

That does not say GM.

What started the discussion was him in “a front office role”. You replied that he was too dumb to have any responsibility. I don’t see where anyone has suggested he be the final say in anything.

So to go your route, show me where I ever fucking said that.

Bagwell is a god. He should run everything. I’m out.

Now you’ve gone too far the other way.

Bagwell in a meeting with a bunch of analytical BP GMs

Pouting, and not the first time. I should not have challenged him either.

I came back to this thread and should not have. I’ll just say if Bagwell was a client of those people who worked with him on “financial and legal matters” and they then told others he is dumb, that is worse than mere slander.

I was going to say these exact words.

For all the smoke online about Dana Brown and the Astros vacant GM position, I am surprised we haven’t heard any Astros insiders floating Mike Fast’s name around. It’s as if everyone’s forgotten he ever existed (or never realized it in the first place) and was a key member of Luhnow’s front office and one of his earliest hires. He arrived in Atlanta before Dana Brown and was promoted to VP of Baseball Development and is the second name in the Braves Baseball Operations chart (under Brown). He has the resume, the experience, and the connections that make way too much sense for this not-an-insider Astros fan. The guy worked his way up the ladder of two World Series champs and has a strong background in analytics. Why is he not a top candidate or at least mentioned in the same breath as the others? Does Crane not like him or does he want less nerds and more jocks?

So, you are regarding Brown as a jock? Probably a conspiracy led by Bagwell.

I think Brown’s resume and accomplishments are above reproach. He also is Black.

At least he’s not Irish.

For whatever reason his name generally does not come up in articles about GM candidates/interviews. It’s certainly not for lack of chops—by all accounts he’s one of the absolute smartest data guys in baseball. He may be one of those guys whose talents are best used in a role where he can really get his hands dirty with the numbers and doesn’t have to delegate. Also remember he left Houston voluntarily by letting his contract expire, without another job in hand, so he was clearly ready to move on and may not be interested in coming back. All just my own speculation. I’m 100% behind the Brown idea myself.

Has any team simultaneously had a black manager and GM?

(It’s sad that this is still even a question)

I seem to recall that being preceded by (maybe in direct response to) Taubman’s promotion to Asst. GM… which, in hindsight, may be viewed as a feature and not a bug.

Nevermind. Not Toronto. Chicago had Williams and Manuel. And then Guillen but I’m not sure he qualifies.

Michael Hill has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Astros GM position. He has decided to remain in major league, baseball’s front office.

“You can’t reject me; I reject you!”

Probably just that. Lots of mutually agreed face-saving in that kind of announcement. I forget who said it when David Stearns stepped down, but apparently a lot of the time when a team “declines to grant permission” for an exec to interview with another team, it’s because the exec had no interest in the job and everyone goes with the little white lie.

I’ll just pretend that’s why all those girls in high school rejected me.

2 Likes

And 2 of 3 Crane’s kitchen cabinet of ex-player advisors (Reggie Jackson, Enos Cabell) are African-American.

Interesting juxtaposition with that EEOC complaint involving Eagle Global Logistics with the allegation that Crane discouraged hiring black people and told subordinates “once you hire blacks, you can never fire them.”