Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2023

That was probably pure cynicism, not prejudice. He didn’t want employees to have any kind of extra edge in a dispute…

“allegation”

Really want them to hire Brown but another name popping up worries me in that regard. Also starting to see the name Ausmus from some folks. Please no….

More from my “friend” about GM search.

No, they have spoken to Ausmus. I didn’t say much about it because I found out only after it was reported by the media.

I don’t have a problem with Ausmus being hired and having a voice, but I don’t want him to be the GM.

He isn’t as qualified as Brown, who is exceptional at amateur player evaluation.

Crane gives a lot of deference to former players… it isn’t coincidence that Biggio’s “guy” and Bagwell’s “guy” both were interviewed.

I am really hoping Brown in the choice, he is objectively better than Ausmus and historically Crane has gone with the better objective choice.

Honestly , **** Ausmus.

The guy has always gotten the benefit of the doubt.

He is an “Ivy League” graduate… He went to Dartmouth and had preferential consideration as a baseball player.

Everyone just assumed he worked hard as a player, but he didn’t really and it was a running joke with the players at the time. He did his work and went home, he wasn’t out there grinding away.

Everyone assumed he knew the rules of the game really well and would be a good manager… he isn’t.

Now everyone in the game just assumes he is going to be great in the front office.

I don’t know Brad Ausmus, maybe he is great at scouting or player development, but I have no reason to believe he is.

1 Like

My “friends” take on James Harris

WOW… I am surprised they got him to interview. He is someone that a lot of teams have wanted the last few years but he didn’t want to leave Cleveland. He would be an excellent hire.

I haven’t heard of the Astros talking to him.

2 Likes

Interesting article on Harris who was working in the NFL seven years ago…

Heyman is calling Brown, Harris and Evans the “three finalists for the position.”

I’d be ok with 2 of those 3.

Rosenthal says the Astros are also looking at David Stearns:

With a year left on his contract, Stearns remained with the Brewers in an advisory role to ownership and baseball operations. Astros owner Jim Crane is intrigued by the idea of bringing him back to Houston, according to two major-league sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to comment publicly.

Maybe if we bring him back the trade for Fiers / Gomez will magically reverse itself.

Funny but Fiers pitched more innings and games started than any Astros pitcher in 2017.

He pitched well in June and July wgen that team really needed it.

I hate Fiers but would not want to change how 2017 turned out.

Top scout from Atlanta, top player development guy from Cleveland. Hard to think of better ideas on paper. Crane seems to be looking at the right sort of hire.

1 Like

I know every one on here follows him but in case you missed it from earlier today…

I hope this is some bullshit reporting regarding Ausmus, but I’m starting to fear it’s not.

Some reports said Brown had to be talked into the interviewing by Crane. I feel like if he wanted the job this would have already been over. Same for Hill who withdrew his name and perhaps Evans too. Harris’ name being mentioned today feels kind of last ditch effort but who knows? I feel like the qualified people who have interviewed are backing off because of “the crew.” While Crane and any owner will always have the final say on everything, I think every other GM in the industry probably feels like his opinion and experience in the front office matters, and should matter, more than peripheral players like Bagwell and Jackson. If it doesn’t, why are you there?

Over the last 10 years we have watched our team transform into one of the premier organizations in the league. People should be knocking down Crane’s door to work here. If he ends up hiring Brad Ausmus it’s going to speak volumes about what qualified front office people think about the environment here right now.

Just my opinion and I hope like hell I’m wrong and just being an idiot.

B.S.

1 Like

More from “my friend”

Supposedly there was some third party communication between the Astros and Stearns very early on.

I don’t know what Crane will ultimately do.

I think people dismissing Ausmus probably shouldn’t do that. He has a lot of people in baseball that think highly of him and if he were not a real candidate, I think he would have made some comment when asked.

What I will say is that the Astros are being very meticulous and have spoken to a number of top minds in the game.

Harris… Brown… Sawdaye… Hill and others.

Stearns isn’t perfect but he would be a very strong addition to the Astros… and he knows the owner.

More

Quiet and nice are two different things. I never found Ausmus to be an especially nice person when around him. He was an elitist that thought he was better than other people. He isn’t what I would call down to earth, and he would at times say some nasty things to people that worked at MMP.

Bagwell was always very nice to the people around him… Alou as well… but Ausmus was a smug dick.

One guy backed out, probably because he was not going to get the job anyway. Harris’ name was mentioned today because he reportedly interviewed for the job. He’s a blue chip GM prospect.

Whatever the reporting, don’t forget that Crane has interviewed candidates with extremely different backgrounds and philosophies every time he has looked for a GM. He interviewed Bill Geivett and Logan White at the same time as Luhnow. He interviewed Gene Watson and Peter Woodfork at the same time he interviewed Click. He ended up picking two extremely competent guys who built dominant WS winners. I have no reason to think he won’t do the same again.

7 Likes

Exactly.

Harris, Brown, and Stearns seem imminently qualified and any of them would be a great hire. The continued noise around Ausmus is a little concerning.

6 Likes

Daily “friend’s” insight.

Bagwell will get a lot of rope from people in MMP because even when he was a drunk that cheated on his wives, he was generally pleasant and nice to be around. There are many stories and times that Bagwell was a screw up while on the Astros and when he was a coach. People around him thought he was a decent person though.

I have no clue if Bagwell has solved all of his personal issues. As far as I know he is still with Rachel, but IDK. Having said that, I think his recent past is fair game to question when it comes to giving someone a leadership position.

As for Ausmus, I can think he is a dick, but that doesn’t mean he cannot be good at his job. I just don’t think he is qualified to be a GM based on his track record… I am fine with him having involvement with the front office, and he isn’t as anti analytical as some seem to think. I do worry about whether he is willing to put in the hours to be GM though.