Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2023

I have enough sense to not piss in my boots in the first place.

6 Likes

John Wayne once pissed into Ward Bond’s whiskey flask to the amusement of John Ford. I have no idea if any of them would have been good GMs.

2 Likes

For crying out loud, I don’t give 2 shits about the educational background. I’m talking about multiple people working with Bags who have separately said he’s not very bright.

Who are they, pray tell, and what examples of his dumbness do they share? They also said he is “baseball brilliant?”
If they claim to be Bagwell’s friends, they are not very good ones, and some in this series of posts come across as elitists.

Not friends. People working with him in business and legal settings.

Obviously not friends. One should avoid slandering one’s friends.

You’re not the first person I’ve heard this from.

As a totally unrelated corollary, George Strait, who I can confirm from personal experience is a wonderfully nice guy yet dumber than a sack of hammers, has made a pretty nice career for himself as a singer, but that doesn’t mean I’d put him in charge of a record label.

1 Like

Who’s that chick that discovered Rigoberto Sanchez? Make her the GM.

So all seriousness aside…if Bagwell is baseball brilliant, can identity and develop talent, the knock on him in a front office role is that he’s financially incompetent? He’s shown to have an odd taste in women, but do people really think he doesn’t understand baseball finances? What else could it be?

2 Likes

I give up. I’ll leave this discussion for now and look for the GM hire.

My “friend’s” comments on Brown.

Brown has been at worst the second most likely guy since all of this has started. He was one of the 3 guys I heard about weeks after Click was gone. It all was going to come down to how well Brown and Crane got along personality wise. Crane had to talk Brown into even listening about the job.

Brown is exceptional at talent evaluation and the nuts and bolts of baseball and known as being very tough and explosive at times.

He is someone that believes in analytical data and is very progressive.

FWIW I think he would be an exceptional hire.

Who was the last baseball player who was a good GM? Teams stopped hiring baseball players because they were getting lapped by the analytic teams. I’m not saying Bagwell would be a disaster, but Bagwells aren’t GMs anymore for a reason

2 Likes

I’m hoping Chris Young is a spectacular failure in Arlington.

3 Likes

The Bagwell point is moot.

He’s not going to be GM. He has clearly stated he doesn’t want it or the commitment that comes with it.

I’m glad he is still with the team and I get to hear him talk baseball and Astros a few times per year.

And any one of us could be “not so bright”. If true its nobody’s fault and doesn’t take away from who or what he is.

4 Likes

Yes, two of these people worked with him on financial issues and he was completely clueless.

Perhaps I missed it, but who has legitimately suggested Bagwell should be the GM?

1 Like

That means he should have no input into building the roster? Seems a little extreme.

The GM is doing much more than building the roster, and understanding contracts and negotiating is more than a little bit of the job.

Again, who has suggested he be the GM?

This is what started this whole incessant discussion.