Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2023

No one suspected otherwise.

6 Likes

Name Dana. Still haven’t seen picture. A name is just a name, many can be either gender. Found out guy when referred to him in article as him.

We all make assumption at times. Obviously doesn’t mean we are right.

1 Like

There is a photo 4-5 posts above you in this thread.

Can we please go back to the conjecture around smart vs baseball smart? The question of buttoning one or two holes in a sports coat lacks the same verve. Though the gender/identity discussion has great possibilities.

Here’s my take on all of this – Stanek or Abreu in the 8th? Don’t confuse me with matchups.

Preserving the sartorial excellence of OWA is always a top priority.

1 Like

I still haven’t figured out what the deal was with Stanek at the end of the season/postseason.

Not arguing with the results of course.

A plausible explanation is to have a closer-type available if Pressly faltered.

2 Likes

My thought too.

But why Garcia in the 10th of G1 instead of Stanek?

Maybe matchups.

Dunno.

My thought was in case it went much longer than the 10th. With no Manfred Men, runs may have been even harder to come by in extras and the game could have easily gone to the 12th or longer. But then being at home means you’ve basically taken pass on using Stanek as a closer, as you can’t end that game on defense. I don’t know, but I thought the use of Stanek all Postseason was peculiar, though certainly can’t disagree with the outcome either.

2 Likes

I was perplexed about Stanek’s lack of usage as well, one thing I heard tossed around was walk rate. In his last 20 games he pitched 18 innings and walked 11.

3 Likes

It is our opposable thumb, that which separates us from the unwashed masses.

That certainly could have been part of it. Stanek has the stuff to make guys look silly, but he could also find his way into trouble.

As one of our great former posters once said…”using weasel words is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.”

5 Likes

This was my thought. Stanek has been prone to walks…and walks, especially in the playoffs, seem to come back to haunt you more times than not.

Walks per 9ip 2022

W.Smith ( Astros only) 1.6
Urquidy 2.1
Neris 2.3
Pressly 2.4
Garcia 2.7
Montero 3.0
Brown 3.1
Abreu 3.3

Stanek 5.1

6 Likes

I don’t think Homer Jay Simpson posted here, but it’s alarming that my mind went to the same place.

I just remember the great pravata posting that. I wasn’t sure of the original source. There really is nothing new under the sun. A phrase I just made up on the spot.

1 Like

Plausible indeed. That makes great postseason baseball sense. Who could have predicted this out of Pressly:

|ERA|G|SV|IP|H|R|ER|HR|BB|SO|
|0.00|10|6|11.0|4|1|0|0|3|13|

There is a non-zero chance that Simpsons writers got that phrase from the TZ. It’s pretty well know that TV writers scour place like the internet for material.

My favorite Pravata-ism that I still use regularly to this day is “like a shrimp contemplating a nuclear submarine”. It’s especially useful in a room full of egotistical scientists. Or political appointees.

4 Likes

Pure witchcraft

1 Like