Bring your friend to work day

I think Empire Strikes Back and Terminator 2 are both universally considered better than their predecessor.

Never saw either, so I’ll have to take the critics’ word for it. Star Wars was a fun little movie, and certainly the start of a tremendously successful franchise, but it’s mostly a kids movie. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it doesn’t exactly set the same bar as The Godfather.

Uh, oh. Here we go.

1 Like

Sure but if you’re just looking at “artistic” films then the pool of films with ANY sequel gets a while lot smaller.

Well, in any good art film the hero dies.

Chuck, these are our friends.

For the love of all that is good, do NOT watch the 3rd movie.

1 Like

Hey, he won an Oscar for doing that in Scent of a Woman.

True. And I would throw Evil Dead II into the mix of great sequels.

I don’t think this is remotely a universal take.

Like I said, I haven’t seen it in nearly 50 years, but in my memory I’m still completely transported by those sequences. Weirdly, I always think of it as Dickens’ London in New York.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes are the antithesis of a “kids movie.” The rest of the franchise, I’m not convinced.

And the latter is widely considered one of the greatest sequels in movie history.

ETA: Evil Dead 2 is fucking great.

1 Like

All I know was that The Alamo 2 was pretty boring.

You can all save yourselves seven hours and just watch this scene:

5 Likes

Cool Hand Luke Rises, Another Easy Rider, and Two Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, were wisely never made.

1 Like

Breaking 2: Electric Boogaloo.

/mic drop/

1 Like

Yeah, Star Wars was great when I was 10. By 13, I’d outgrown it, hence no Empire for me.

Actually, Easy Rider 2 was made. It was, predictably, labeled as “awful”.

Middle-Age Frankenstein

Hey, you know me, circumspection’s my middle name.

The Conversation is an outSTANding moviefilm, good recreation!

I think we can all agree that when it comes to sequels besting the original, Aparajito is better than Pather Panchali.

Anyway, I’m mainly just disoriented that after about 30 years I’ve finally found something Hudson won’t argue about.

I loved that movie. I had a big thing for Marilu Henner back in the day.