Bring your friend to work day

It’s OK…I’ve never seen Toy Story either.

Awful, is being generous.

What goes in the spot where your heart is supposed to be?

I’ve given my heart to the Hallmark Christmas movies.

ETA: And if you want a movie that is 100% pure charm, it doesn’t get any better than The Princess Bride.

6 Likes

I recently rewatched The Godfather I and, at the risk of being a Debbie Downer, was surprised by my reaction. I’ve become more sensitive to violence as I’ve aged and watching it with Mrs banedoodle, who was not raised on the franchise (well, the first two) like me, influenced my experience, and I found myself being like: Man, this is a study in psychopathy. Obvious I know but still a bit jarring. The same thing happened with Miller’s Crossing, which was long among my favorite flicks.

Rewatching is interesting. Speaking of Coppola, I recently rewatched Patton for the umpteenth time and found myself a little embarrassed by it. Time.

I should maybe stop watching a certain category of old favorites with my wife.

1 Like

I haven’t seen Patton in many years but I remember my take away was, George C Scott is/was a hell of a fine actor.

1 Like

He’s amazing in it.

1 Like

The one thing about the two Godfather movies (two; there were only two) that gives me pause is what they spawned.

Namely, a cinematic/popular culture love affair with organized crime and the violence that follows it.

I’ve certainly enjoyed watching many of them. And I suppose there is a natural fascination with violence.

But at best mobsters are sociopaths and many are psychopaths.

3 Likes

Godfather II
Empire Strikes Back
Wrath of Khan

Whatever order.

1 Like

I don’t think the Godfather Saga “spawned a cinematic/popular culture love affair with organized crime and the violence” Hollywood has always had a love affair with gangsters and outlaws. The 60s is when it began to get more graphic with movies like Bonnie and Clyde or The Wild Bunch. And the Godfathers added their contributions.

I am not a fan of violence in movies. I try not to go to movies which have plenty in them. That is part of the reason I was not eager to see another Godfather. I liked the movie, as did most everyone else, but not the violence.

I think I could watch Patton on a loop for the rest of my life and not get tired of it.

1 Like

[/quote]
What goes in the spot where your heart is supposed to be?
[/quote]

I’m assuming rum?

1 Like

I’m the same, but it’s a bigger problem in TV shows, like Game of Thrones. So much violence and blood I don’t know how anyone can stand watching shows like that. Granted Star Trek/Wars has a lot of fighting and all but I think there’s a difference between realistic violence and killing and cartoon violence. I don’t want to see someone tortured for example, it’s so much better to just allude to it having happened. There are lots of shows we just can’t watch at our house because of that.

1 Like

I would wander by GoT occasionally. One of 3 scenarios would inevitably play out within 3 minutes:

1. 2 characters would be talking/plotting
  2. Someone would be getting killed in a gruesome way
  3. Sex

*often some combo

I tried watching one episode of GoT, but the composition was so dark that I couldn’t make anything out. I gave up and never went back.

I watched a couple of episodes of GoT. It didn’t stick with me. I just don’t have time to see everything damn show that’s put out. If a show doesn’t hook me early on, I almost always move on from it.