Bring your friend to work day

Hell, I hate movies and I’ve seen them. That’s how I knew to make that Cannoli Paredes joke a couple of years ago.

Hudson will surely argue with me but to the uninitiated I will say that I wouldn’t feel absolutely compelled to watch the third installment of the trilogy.

My stepmom loves The Godfather. She and I sat up one Christmas eve and watched I and II.

1 Like

Anyone seen the recent recut of III, it’s allegedly a vast improvement over the original version

Not a particularly high bar there.

1 Like

I haven’t, but I’ll get around to it. I have heard good things.

I’m in the camp that days Part II is slightly better than the original—but really, it’s perfection vs. perfection.

For those who haven’t seen them, they are worth watching not only because they’re great movies, but because you will suddenly realize just how many common phrases, cultural references, etc. originate in those movies. The ranking there would be something like: the Bible, Shakespeare, Greek mythology, The Godfather. It’s a foundational work at this point.

But more importantly, they are great movies.

1 Like

I will surely not argue that point. Part 3 is an abomination, and I do not consider it part of the Godfather canon. If one is watching the director’s cut, where all three are split up and scenes in chronological order, then fine. Otherwise, watch Part 1 and Part II, back to back preferably. When you have say…7 hours to kill.

Yes. It’s still awful. Pacino doesn’t play Michael Corleone, he plays a Bill Hader impression of Al Pacino. Sofia Coppola turns in what may the single worst acting performance in history by anyone not named Brad Pitt. Just awful.

Me either

Saw #1 during its first run but did not see the others.

I stumbled across the “Saga” at one point and didn’t know what I was watching. I’d never realized they took the time and effort to put them all together chronologically. It sucked.

It’s weird if you’ve seen them all before. If you’ve never seen any of the films, it probably makes more sense. It’s the only way I’d bother to watch 3 though.

It’s widely held that Part 2 is the only sequel in history that is better than the original (I’m sure you Star Wars or Marvel geeks will argue that each subsequent film is better than the sum of all previous ones). Part 2 is fantastic, in part because it more prominently features Fredo, played by John Cazale, who was a phenomenal actor. Cazale only appeared in five films in his short career; The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part 2, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter. What do they all have in common? All were nominated for Best Picture, three of them winning, thanks in no small part to Cazale.

I absolutely love the “young Vito” segments. So well shot, art directed and acted.

2 Likes

I love the first two Godfathers, I like the third one as an epilogue. (It was kind of meh.) But, Apocalypse Now, is easily my favorite Copolla movie.

Oh man, I hated that movie. No accounting for taste, I guess. Mine, I mean, not yours.

The horror…

Truth be told, I did not like any Viet Nam movie.

Your taste is demonstrably excellent. It’s a hard film to take in. Many dislike Stockhausen but love Mozart. That’s the great thing about art, it doesn’t have to be widely accepted to be great… Well, who doesn’t love Mozart?

I loved Apocalypse Now, and I loved the novel it’s based on. It’s not better than The Godfather for me, however.

Heart of Darkness was probably my favorite book that I was ever required to read.

1 Like